Algebraic to Coordinate Algebraic.

Anything related to programming utilities involved one way or another on auto-chess-ing.
Whitefang

Algebraic to Coordinate Algebraic.

Post by Whitefang »

So, I read that WinBoard, by default, sends moves in coordinate algebraic notation (e7e5 instead of just e5 for Black's first move, as an example) - and that there's a command the bot can send to WinBoard to switch it to standard algebraic.

I was wondering if I could do the opposite - Naum 4.2 (the engine I'm using) returns in standard algebraic notation. I want to create my own thing for playing with the bot (as a learning experience - basically a spartan WinBoard replacement), and was wondering if it's possible to somehow set Naum 4.2 to return in coordinate algebraic. I'd rather not write code to interpret the standard algebraic.

Failing that option, does anyone know (preferably Java) code that is pre-written and will do what I need? Namely, take a chess board object (rows and columns with piece types stored) and a standard algebraic notation move, and output a coordinate algebraic move.

Thanks!

Edit: Meant e7e5, not e5e7.

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Re: Algebraic to Coordinate Algebraic.

Post by matematiko »

I am sorry if I sound egocentric, but I do not think that anyone here will answer your question ever. My self I am confused of what your goal, what exactly you are trying to accomplish? Create your own bot and use WinBoard/Naum to play in fics but do it in your own terms? Please expand on your goals and motives and I might be able to help or at least advise. Unfortunately at the moment I am busy with something else. But if you post more details like I said above I will get back to you at some point.

Regards,
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)
- You will be baned, sooner or later,
- It gives us (the true chess engine players) a bad reputation.

Whitefang

Post by Whitefang »

I'm trying to build myself, basically, a replacement for WinBoard - something that can interact with an external EXE and use it to modify internal stuff (I wanted some practice at coding something like this). It would also let me work on getting the logistics of chess down pat - en passant and such. I'd just rather not have to write code to interpret the standard algebraic notation.

unemployed
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by unemployed »

Whitefang wrote:I'm trying to build myself, basically, a replacement for WinBoard - something that can interact with an external EXE and use it to modify internal stuff (I wanted some practice at coding something like this). It would also let me work on getting the logistics of chess down pat - en passant and such. I'd just rather not have to write code to interpret the standard algebraic notation.

matematiko wrote:I am sorry if I sound egocentric, but I do not think that anyone here will answer your question ever. My self I am confused of what your goal, what exactly you are trying to accomplish? Create your own bot and use WinBoard/Naum to play in fics but do it in your own terms? Please expand on your goals and motives and I might be able to help or at least advise. Unfortunately at the moment I am busy with something else. But if you post more details like I said above I will get back to you at some point.

Regards,
pls study winboard sourcecode and study how engine algebraic code can be converted into a mouse command .
if you are a programmer you will be too familer with arrays in c which every engine programmer use for engine programming .
i m not a programmer,
What we think or what we know or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do."

John Ruskin

GrahamPEn

Algebraic to Coordinate Algebraic

Post by GrahamPEn »

you would not need this. At least from client side.
Can you explain what are you trying to accomplish?