.bin opening book

mocha_1961
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: .bin opening book

Post by mocha_1961 »

speaking of binbook. performance.bin is so far the best that i've tried that you can download for free from the website. other players have been so good with making their own binbook, if that's what your talking about. i can only mention a few who make very good binbook, i can say that they have vg binbook because i have played with them. i'm talking about 1/0 games. :hhh :hhh :hhh
No matter how strong and dedicated a leader may be, he must find root and strength amongst the people.

Waldemar
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Waldemar »

The only bin book I really recommend is performance.bin, it is vg, believe me, specially to 1/0. But if you can create your own bin book you will be able to surpass the performance. 8) And create a bin book is simple and all commands to do this you find in read me file inside polyglot folder...Good Luck to all of you that try your own bin books. :ok
4ut0 ch355 m3mb3r WALDEMAR...g00d g4m3 f0r 4ll...y4h000000! :ok

aks21155
Banned User
Banned User

Post by aks21155 »

DEARfriends I CAN POST same book as sicialn created in ctg in bin.
"ANY SUFFICIAENTLY ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY IS VIRTUALLY INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC" C. CLARKE

"IF I HAVE SEEN FURTHER, IT IS BY STANDING ON THE SHOULDERS OF GIANTS" ISAAC NEWTON

Prima

Post by Prima »

Please do aks21155.

I'm in dire need of a strong .bin book as I tried to create my bin book but couldn't since my Polyglot.exe opens and closes immediately when I click on it in order to type-in the Polyglot-make-book commands. So far, I only have the saved Pgn games which I've filtered, but then again, the polyglot.exe opens and closes immediately so I can't create a polyglot book.

Please post this polyglot book for download.

Thanks

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

primabolin wrote:Please do aks21155.

I'm in dire need of a strong .bin book as I tried to create my bin book but couldn't since my Polyglot.exe opens and closes immediately when I click on it in order to type-in the Polyglot-make-book commands. So far, I only have the saved Pgn games which I've filtered, but then again, the polyglot.exe opens and closes immediately so I can't create a polyglot book.

Please post this polyglot book for download.

Thanks
You are not supouse to click on it. You need to open a command prompt and enter commnads, for example:

polyglot.exe -makebook -pgn mydatabase.pgn -bin book.bin ..................etc. Please read the documentation that comes with polyglot.

Cheers,
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)
- You will be baned, sooner or later,
- It gives us (the true chess engine players) a bad reputation.

Prima

Post by Prima »

Thsnks matematiko.

Sorry I took a day to reply back to the suggestion you pointed out to me. I finally located my "Command Prompt" DOS by clicking "START" and then the "All Program Menus". My Command Prompt DOS says these upon running or opening it:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
<C> Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\my name>_

If this is the correct "Command Prompt" needed for the polyglot-make book commands, please spare a little of your time to let me know.

As for the Polyglot-read me text note that comes with polyglot, I read it over and over but wasn't quite sure if these "Polyglot-make book Commands" were supposed to be typed in the Polyglot.exe or within the Polyglot_X engine.ini File(s) - I'm not too computer oriented but because of these autochess/commands, file-naming and Path creating etc, I've learned a lot these past months about computers and my interests in computers have heightened.

I await your reply.
Thanks

Waldemar
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Waldemar »

To all guys that have same "problem" , you just need to change:

to...
C:\Polygot>_

How? type: cd c:\polygot and it will look like that If your polygot folder is in c:\ drive

Only after line looks like C:\Polygot>_ is when you can use commands in read me file to create bin books... :ok
4ut0 ch355 m3mb3r WALDEMAR...g00d g4m3 f0r 4ll...y4h000000! :ok

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)

aks21155
Banned User
Banned User

Post by aks21155 »

dear SUPERMAX it seems u have aquired much more knowledge than us. U r right to creat a seprate folder in c as polyglot.make a sub folder for various engines and books under engines and books.post right path for engine and books.I donot have much time but if smoebody places ur favourite engine in winboard and book this will cut short of polyglot but i think debugging reqd for 15 days on slow speed
"ANY SUFFICIAENTLY ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY IS VIRTUALLY INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC" C. CLARKE

"IF I HAVE SEEN FURTHER, IT IS BY STANDING ON THE SHOULDERS OF GIANTS" ISAAC NEWTON

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

primabolin wrote:Thsnks matematiko.

Sorry I took a day to reply back to the suggestion you pointed out to me. I finally located my "Command Prompt" DOS by clicking "START" and then the "All Program Menus". My Command Prompt DOS says these upon running or opening it:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
<C> Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

If this is the correct "Command Prompt" needed for the polyglot-make book commands, please spare a little of your time to let me know.

As for the Polyglot-read me text note that comes with polyglot, I read it over and over but wasn't quite sure if these "Polyglot-make book Commands" were supposed to be typed in the Polyglot.exe or within the Polyglot_X engine.ini File(s) - I'm not too computer oriented but because of these autochess/commands, file-naming and Path creating etc, I've learned a lot these past months about computers and my interests in computers have heightened.

I await your reply.
Thanks
Once you learn how to open a command prompt in the desired folder, read again the instructions found with polyglot distribution.

In my case, I have polyglot.exe and cygwin1.dll in the same folder I have winboard_x, another alternative I use quite often, I copy polyglot.exe and cygwin1.dll to the folder where the pgn database that I am going to use to make the book is located.

So for example, let's assume I have my pgn database in c:\chess\databases\3minutes\
I copy polyglot and the dll file there and then open the command prompt there. It should look like this:
C:\chess\databases\3minutes\_

Assuming the pgn database is called engineroom2008.pgn, I will enter a command like this:

polyglot make-book -pgn engineroom2008.pgn -bin book.bin -min-game 3 -max-ply 40

Again, this is just an example.

Also, some times polyglot complains of corrupted pgn databases and tells you exactly the line with the problem. To fix this issue, you have to manually edit the pgn database and delete the whole game with the corrupted line. To do this, notepad will do, unfortunally with large databases notepad will crash. To avoid this problem, I use editplus (http://www.editplus.com/). Editplus handles large text files(a pgn database is nothing else but a text file) and also displays the line number on the right hand side.

Good luck,
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,

Prima

Post by Prima »

Thanks matermatiko.

I have been reading-up again on the polyglot-make book instructions and your example is quite comprehensible - much, much clearer than Dr. Fabien Letouzey's instructions, as I get the impression he assumes everyone is computer-oriented.

Day by day, I practice these procedures to perfect my procedures in the "polyglot-make book" commands and in fact, in the steps of making these books, polyglot did mention something about "corrupted files" etc. I really appreciate these help from you, xsupremex, aks2115 / sunny and forum members - thanks. I'll be very sure to post my progress in the "polyglot-make book" commands and the outcome.

But first, I'll implement the directions you've pointed out, and with trials and errors, I should get there. Wish me the best.

PS: I didn't know you had answered my post untill I browsed this section today(August 12th, 2008). I'm terribly sorry about the delay in my response. 'Hope you understand. Thanks

-prima.

spring

Post by spring »

I dowloand polyglot bin book but how to change ?

Prima

Post by Prima »

spring wrote:I dowloand polyglot bin book but how to change ?
If just using the fUCI and sUCI format with Polyglot, all you need to do is open your Winboard GUI, then go to:

Options\Common Engine Settings\Use Book.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Options\Common Engine Settings\Use Book should bring you to this Winboard Setting dialogue:

Use this dialogue to navigate to "where" (the path) the preferred bin book to be used is.

If using INI files for an engine, in conjunction with Polyglot, you would have to open the INI file of the engine you want to use and edit the line:

OR in the engine's INI File, manually edit it at this line:

Code: Select all

BookFile=C:\PolyGlot_X\BinBook\ICC6-Z-Beta.bin
to the book of your choice.

Save the changes and you're good to go...

spring

Post by spring »

Which is the best polyglot book?

Prima

Post by Prima »

spring wrote:Which is the best polyglot book?
Here's the link to bin book rating lists but I'm not sure how accurate or updated the ratings are:
http://raitpref.hotbox.ru/ct-p-book-4.htm

To download available bin books, get them here:
http://raitpref.hotbox.ru/ct-file.htm