Aquarium

Stoneface

Aquarium

Post by Stoneface »

Hello everyone,

Don't know where to post this so i put it here.
I've a question about chess engine tournament games in aquarium. Beside winboard, scid and polyglot to make .bin books, i also use Houdini3Aquarium, and if want to setup a match between 2 engines, there can choose also the 'Opening Book' each can use. But if want to setup a tournament between engines, there can also choose wich 'Opening Book', but that is for all engines.
The question actually is, if set 'Opening Book' at <Default>, is that also for all engines, or are they use their Own books, that are specified in the Engine tab on the left side of the panel?
Thx very much in front, hoping for good solving answers.

Stone :Bravo :roll:

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Re: Aquarium

Post by matematiko »

I have never run tournaments and I had never used aquarium houdini, but I found your question interesting, so I am going to give you my two cents of advise.

In WInboard, if there is a "default book" declared in Winboard, that book takes precedence over anything else, even if the engine has its own book, during the opening first moves Winboard will ignore the moves sent by the engine and make the moves in the default book. I want to think that other GUIs (in this case: Aquarium Houdini) will do the same.

One way to do what you want to do, is to two have to run two instances of polyglot, for example:
-Hace polyglot.exe in two different folders, one called polyglot1 and the otherone called polyglot2
-for conviniance, rename polyglot.exe to polyglot1.exe and polyglot2.exe
-Use these polyglots as the engines and declare the engine and the book in each polyglot.ini

Should be piece of cake, please be aware that I have no tested this and I have never used Aquarium Houdini.

Hope this works for you.

Regards,
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)
- You will be baned, sooner or later,
- It gives us (the true chess engine players) a bad reputation.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface »

Thx for the advice, is good to know.

One more question pls. Now suddenly if want to open aquarium, then it give a message: "Runtime error 217 at 04A3929E". When i click OK then the info opening opens, but there it stay stuck. I'm also not abled to close that start info opening screen anymore. Don't know how that come cause all settings were like normal and i closed it in a normal way too. Do i have to re-install aquarium again or so maybe.

Thx in front. :?

Stone

Waldemar
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Waldemar »

Go to Fritz and face any problem
4ut0 ch355 m3mb3r WALDEMAR...g00d g4m3 f0r 4ll...y4h000000! :ok

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface »

I don't use Fritz Waldemar. But i re-installed and the runtime error was gone. Still don't know how it suddenly came.
Take care everyone.

Stone

asteriskrain7

Post by asteriskrain7 »

I have the same problem with the TS, I tried re-installing but it didn't work.
Is there any other solutions that I can use?
There are certain things which you must beware of and shun like the devil himself: these are drinking, chess, harlots, quarreling, and throwing dice for stakes. (Speculum Regale c 1250) - http://varbergschack.se/