Re: YaY + YaYp

An ICS Emulator for POGO Chess
Johnbits

Post by Johnbits »

What are your thoughts of using only one program instead of both YaY + YaYp? The developers and administrators here could concentrate on improving, upgrading the one program and maintaining it instead of two. If there was enough interest, perhaps have more tuturials whatever else they think would make it easier and attractive to newbies. This would mean there would be more people to play. I don't know of coarse whether they would want to and have the time to devote to the project but I'm sure they will let us know. If we had only 1 or 2 rooms depending on how many players there are like at Pogo we could all meet there. If it helps this forum at all perhaps they can collect a donation from us from time to time to put toward our continued education and fun by playing and learning all the aspects that go with chess engine matches. I find it interesting, enjoyable and fun! You also get to meet alot of nice people!

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

I do not know if there are other programs to play in Yahoo still being maintained, but I wish I had put an expiration date to every version of YaY so all of them will be expired by now. I can barely wait for the day Yahoo makes changes and YaY stops working.

I despised Yahoo, its engineers and most important the Yahoo players that live in the USA and decided to stay in Yahoo because offers them less lag, offers them an unfair advantage against players in other parts of the world. Other poor fellas felt alone in POGO at follow suit and went to Yahoo again. I live in the USA myself, but I can not play in Yahoo where I know I have a clear advantage over others, I do not enjoy the wins.

Yahoo and POGO have many differences, although not impossible, it will be very difficult to put both in a single program, but as per my first comments above you can guess that is not going to happen. The idea is excellent and well intentioned I have to admit.

Yes, maybe if we received some financial compensation will be motivated to do it regardless if we like it or not, but if that was the case, we will have to received $100,000 dollars each to compensate for the whole 9 to 12 months that will take, again, getting this kind of money is never to happen either.

Best regards,
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)
- You will be baned, sooner or later,
- It gives us (the true chess engine players) a bad reputation.