Installation trouble

An ICS Emulator for POGO Chess
AutoChessFan

Installation trouble

Post by AutoChessFan »

Hello, I'm new here. I followed the directions (downloaded install guide) and replaced the new .exe with the old one. But when I double clicked the new .exe nothing happened. Can someone tell me what I did wrong. Thanks.

Prima

Re: Installation trouble

Post by Prima »

AutoChessFan wrote:Hello, I'm new here. I followed the directions (downloaded install guide) and replaced the new .exe with the old one. But when I double clicked the new .exe nothing happened. Can someone tell me what I did wrong. Thanks.
Assuming you've setup everything properly and made shortcuts for both Winboard.exe and YaYp.exe to your desktop, Ist click on the created
YaYp shortcut from your desktop to get this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Next is the room selection, defined as 1 or 2. Select 2 and "enter". You'll get this:

Assuming you already stored your username in YaYp, the next step is to select your Username from the YaYp dialog and click the "Login" tab on YaYp
to bring you to this:

Next, click on the created Winboard shortcut on your desktop you made earlier and select"
"Use an Internet Chess Server" from the Winboard dialog which should look like this:

You'll be connected to the pogo Internet Chess Server (ICS). When a white screen appears confirming you were successfully logged-in,
type this in you ICS screen; games and all players will be displayed similar to this:

Good luck.

AutoChessFan

Post by AutoChessFan »

Prima,
Thank you so much! I ended up reinstalling the whole thing and got it to work. Thanks for the follow up instructions too.

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

Thanks for taking the time to create that tutorial, I am sure is going to help bunch of people.

Regards,
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)
- You will be baned, sooner or later,
- It gives us (the true chess engine players) a bad reputation.

AutoChessFan

Post by AutoChessFan »

Hello, again. Sorry, I thought I could handle the rest from here, but after I got to the part which requires winboard I found that when I opened winboard it didn't show the pogo ICS, just a bunch of other ones to servers I don't play on. The correct winboard.exe is the one in the Winboard folder, right? If it makes it any easier can someone post the pogo ICS? I tried reading it from Prima's post but it's missing some info on the end. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

Prima

Post by Prima »

AutoChessFan wrote:Hello, again. Sorry, I thought I could handle the rest from here, but after I got to the part which requires winboard I found that when I opened winboard it didn't show the pogo ICS, just a bunch of other ones to servers I don't play on. The correct winboard.exe is the one in the Winboard folder, right? If it makes it any easier can someone post the pogo ICS? I tried reading it from Prima's post but it's missing some info on the end. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.
I'm going to use Stockfish 2.11 engine as an example. So for you, use the best engine (or your preferred engine) for ICS-Line aka /icsNames={ } line, and probably for the /firstChessProgramNames={ } and /secondChessProgramNames={ } within your Winboard.ini as well. With that said;

If you're using PolyGlot with PolyGlot.INI files for autochess, then within your Winboard.ini, you should modify the /icsNames={ } and the /firstChessProgramNames={ } & /secondChessProgramNames={ } lines to look like this:

Code: Select all

/icsNames={pogo /ics /icshost=127.0.0.1 /icsport=6000 /zp /fcp="PolyGlot.exe PolyGlot_Stockfish2.11PA_GTB_Gran2c_x64.ini"
yahoo /ics /icshost=127.0.0.1 /icsport=6000 /zp /
chessclub.com /icsport=5000 /icshelper=timestamp
freechess.org /icsport=5000 /icshelper=timeseal
global.chessparlor.com /icsport=6000 /icshelper=timeseal
chessanytime.com /icsport=5000
chess.net /icsport=5000
chess.deepnet.com /icsport=5000 /icshelper=timeseal
zics.org /icsport=5000
jogo.cex.org.br /icsport=5000
ajedrez.cec.uchile.cl /icsport=5000
fly.cc.fer.hr /icsport=7890
freechess.nl /icsport=5000 /icshelper=timeseal
jeu.echecs.com /icsport=5000
chess.unix-ag.uni-kl.de /icsport=5000 /icshelper=timeseal
chess.mds.mdh.se /icsport=5000
}
/singleEngineList=true
/firstChessProgramNames={"Stockfish 2.11PA GTB Gran2c x64" /fcp="PolyGlot.exe PolyGlot_Stockfish2.11PA_GTB_Gran2c_x64.ini"

/secondChessProgramNames={"Stockfish 2.11PA GTB Gran2c x64" /fcp="PolyGlot.exe PolyGlot_Stockfish2.11PA_GTB_Gran2c_x64.ini"
But if you're using PolyGlot but without PolyGlot.ini files for autochess, then your /icsNames={ }, and your /firstChessProgramNames={ } & /secondChessProgramNames={ } (in Winboard.ini) ought look something like this:

}
/icsNames={pogo /ics /icshost=127.0.0.1 /icsport=6000 /zp /cp /fcp=Winboard /fcp="Stockfish_2.11PA_GTB_Gran2c_x64.exe" /fd="C:\AutoChess" /fUCI
chess.net /icsport=5000
zics.org /icsport=5000
}
/singleEngineList=true
/firstChessProgramNames={"Stockfish 2.11PA GTB Gran2c x64" /cp /fcp=Winboard /fcp="Stockfish_2.11PA_GTB_Gran2c_x64.exe" /fd="C:\Autochess" /fUCI

/secondChessProgramNames={"Stockfish 2.11PA GTB Gran2c x64" /cp /fcp=Winboard /scp="Stockfish_2.11PA_GTB_Gran2c_x64.exe" /sd="C:\Autochess" /sUCI
If you're using Winboard with Chessbases/Fritz, you need to specify your /icsNames={ } line in your Winboard.ini to this:

/icsNames={yahoo /ics /icshost=127.0.0.1 /icsport=6000 /zp /fcp="WinBoard232d.exe -pipe"
chess.net /icsport=5000
zics.org /icsport=5000
}
/firstChessProgramNames={"Houdini 1.5a x64" /fcp="WinBoard232d.exe -pipe"
Then make a shortcut for your Winboard you intend on using with Chessbase/Fritz to your desktop and then
1. select the Winboard's shortcut property,
2. In the "Target" line, first put your Winboard-path in it with quotation signs, followed by a space and this code:
/zp /ics /icshost=127.0.0.1 /icsport 6000 /fcp="WinBoard232d.exe -pipe".

So that with my personal Winboard.exe-path + the /zp /ics /icshost=127.0.0.1....code, my /icsName={ } looks like this:

"C:\Auto Computer Chess\WinBoard-(w32)\WinBoard-X-4.4.0-(w32)\WinBoard-4.5.2TM-HGM-ChessBase-w32.exe" /zp /ics /icshost=127.0.0.1 /icsport 6000 /fcp="WinBoard232d.exe -Pipe"
4. then in the "Start in" line, your Winboard path should be displayed, if not do it manually.
5. select "OK" and hit "Apply".

You're good to go.

AutoChessFan

Post by AutoChessFan »

You've been such a help, Prima, but I've got one more question. I went ahead with the "winboard w/ polygot" method, but I get an error that says something along the lines of "Could not connect host 127.0.0.1, port 6000: no connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it" Could this have something to do with a firewall, or is it a configuration error? Thanks again.

Prima

Post by Prima »

AutoChessFan wrote:I went ahead with the "winboard w/ polygot" method, but I get an error that says something along the lines of "Could not connect host 127.0.0.1, port 6000: no connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it" Could this have something to do with a firewall, or is it a configuration error? Thanks again.
When I started using Polyglot, about 3+ years ago, I encountered that error message you're experiencing now. Problem is, I can't remember exactly what 'the specific mistake/s that has to be made' in order to cause this error message you're getting, especially since I've had everything working fine for 3+years now.

1. Are you using Winboard with Polyglot + Polyglot.ini files in your setup? Or are you using Winboard with Polyglot + /fUCI (no Polyglot.ini files)?
2. When attempting to connect Winboard + Polyglot to an ICS, did you remember to select "Use an Internet Chess Server" option from the Winboard Startup menu?
3. Is your PolyGlot.exe files placed in your folder for Winboard + Polyglot?

Suggestion:
I personally prefer to put my engine folders, Polyglot.exe, Winboard.exe and Winboard.ini, INI files for engines and everything else in the same folder. It makes keeping track of things easier.If you like, upload your folder and give me link to download it so I can take a look here in my PC to see what error you're having. The idea is to also correct any mistake/s and re-upload the corrected folder to you. Only if you like.

AutoChessFan

Post by AutoChessFan »

Prima,
I'll send you a pm with a link of what I'm working with so far.

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

AutoChessFan wrote:You've been such a help, Prima, but I've got one more question. I went ahead with the "winboard w/ polygot" method, but I get an error that says something along the lines of "Could not connect host 127.0.0.1, port 6000: no connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it" Could this have something to do with a firewall, or is it a configuration error? Thanks again.
This happens when YaYp:
1.- is not waiting for WinBoard at all,
2.- is waiting on a different port, or
3.- is already connected to another instance of WinBoard on that same port.

Bottom line, you need to launch YaYp/YaY first and then WinBoard.

If YaYp finds valid WinBoard shortcuts in the same folder where YaYp exists, you will get a "WinBoard selection shortcut" screen.

Another approach is to declare the desired WinBoard shortcut in the batch (*.bat) file and WinBoard will be launch automatically.

I suggest you read the documentation included with YaYp, the last release was only and executable, but in the links topic, there is a link to to a YaYp installation executable, this will install a "Documentation" folder, I suggest you read that, it will become more clear. Do not forget to replace YaYp.exe with the latest release.

Regards,
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)
- You will be baned, sooner or later,
- It gives us (the true chess engine players) a bad reputation.

Prima

Post by Prima »

@ matematiko:

Thanks for bringing these back to memory. I was able to "fake" an instance where the error message AutoChessFan may be experiencing was given. By
(1) starting up either YaY or YaYp but
(2) skipping to select a username and
(3) then went ahead to open Winboard-shortcut and attempt to log in to ICS, I got that error:

@ AutoChessFan, could my above description to matematiko be the same mistake you're making? Otherwise feel free to tell us step by step how you attempt to login. Thanks

AutoChessFan

Post by AutoChessFan »

I sent Prima a pm further explaining what was going on, but I think you guys are right. I forgot to select "Use an internet Chess Server" on winboard. However, I have a new problem! I think I entered the "/firstchessprogramnames={" wrong since winboard cannot locate my engine. I downloaded stockfish 2.1.1 to use along with your example, but for some reason, winboard cannot find it. For example, if I wanted to use "Stockfish-211-64-ja.exe" what would I need to type in? Thanks.

*Prima, you're welcome to post the link to my folder for reference or just post a screenshot of what's wrong.

Prima

Post by Prima »

AutoChessFan wrote:I sent Prima a pm further explaining what was going on, but I think you guys are right. I forgot to select "Use an internet Chess Server" on winboard. However, I have a new problem! I think I entered the "/firstchessprogramnames={" wrong since winboard cannot locate my engine. I downloaded stockfish 2.1.1 to use along with your example, but for some reason, winboard cannot find it. For example, if I wanted to use "Stockfish-211-64-ja.exe" what would I need to type in? Thanks.

*Prima, you're welcome to post the link to my folder for reference or just post a screenshot of what's wrong.
I got your link. Thanks.

By the way, what's your operating system? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit? I need to tailor the auto program accordingly. Also, give me few hours or even tomorrow, since I'm busy doing things here on my end.

AutoChessFan

Post by AutoChessFan »

Prima,
Take your time, no worries. I'm using 32-bit right now.

Waldemar
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Waldemar »

Better go to Teamviewer !!!
4ut0 ch355 m3mb3r WALDEMAR...g00d g4m3 f0r 4ll...y4h000000! :ok