Newbie in YaYp

An ICS Emulator for POGO Chess
stealth_killer

Newbie in YaYp

Post by stealth_killer »

Hey All,

I just moved to Pogo chess today, as I couldn't find a solution to auto chess on yahoo (cannot by pass the captcha image ... lol). But never the less Pogo chess is also awsome. Just a small question, perhaps already been answered somewhere(trust me I really searched all i could before posting). Is there any way I could use another stronger chess engine and/ or opening books with yayp. I got owned many times today by a couple of people using yayp. Is there any means of switching the game engine and opening books if possible. Please suggest some good engines and books if possible. I have read in this forum and I now know that my computer not being very good could also be a contributing reason for my loss, but I am still taking my chances ... :lol: :mrgreen:

Moderators/Admins please excuse me if this is already answered and I do not intend to unnecessarily harass or bother you. Thank you for your co-operation

Regards,
a novice

Waldemar
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Re: Pogo commands

Post by Waldemar »

Welcome to Pogo Chess, you can change engine and book with YaYp, you can be losing cuz you using all default settings and stuff vs strong players. But 1st what you use with YaYp ? Polyglot or Chessbase ?

If you use Chessbase is easy change engine and books and if you use Polyglot you have to edit the file called polyglot.ini inside YaYp >>> Winboard folder, there you will re-edit lines where you see engine name and bin book name. To be easy making your changes, put engine and bin books you want to use in Winboard folder.

This is my small example:

EngineCommand="C:\YaYp_Ultimate\WinBoard\Deep Rybka 4 SSE42 w32.exe"
log=false
LogFile=polyglotCTG.log
Resign=false
Book=true
BookFile=C:\YaYp_Ultimate\WinBoard\GiveMeThat.bin
Resign=false
CanPonder=true
ShowPonder=true
SyncStop=false
PromoteWorkAround=true
KibitzMove=true
KibitzCommand=kibitz
KibitzDelay=5

As you can see I edited to use Rybka 4 and my bin book called GiveMeThat.bin.

Cheers !
4ut0 ch355 m3mb3r WALDEMAR...g00d g4m3 f0r 4ll...y4h000000! :ok

stealth_killer

Re: Pogo commands

Post by stealth_killer »

XsupremeX wrote:Welcome to Pogo Chess, you can change engine and book with YaYp, you can be losing cuz you using all default settings and stuff vs strong players. But 1st what you use with YaYp ? Polyglot or Chessbase ?

If you use Chessbase is easy change engine and books and if you use Polyglot you have to edit the file called polyglot.ini inside YaYp >>> Winboard folder, there you will re-edit lines where you see engine name and bin book name. To be easy making your changes, put engine and bin books you want to use in Winboard folder.

This is my small example:

EngineCommand="C:\YaYp_Ultimate\WinBoard\Deep Rybka 4 SSE42 w32.exe"
log=false
LogFile=polyglotCTG.log
Resign=false
Book=true
BookFile=C:\YaYp_Ultimate\WinBoard\GiveMeThat.bin
Resign=false
CanPonder=true
ShowPonder=true
SyncStop=false
PromoteWorkAround=true
KibitzMove=true
KibitzCommand=kibitz
KibitzDelay=5

As you can see I edited to use Rybka 4 and my bin book called GiveMeThat.bin.

Cheers !
Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Honestly didn't expect a reply, that too so fast. So thank you again... :o :o :o

Just 2 more questions:

1. I am using Polygot, should I switch to Chessbase, is that better?
2. I have Rybka 4, but i cannot find its engine anywhere, searched the complete rybka 4 folder(can I download it somewhere .... or any other better engine if you could probably suggest). Also where can I find opening books and end game table bases that I could probably use as a combination along with

Waldemar
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Re: Newbie in YaYp

Post by Waldemar »

No, the thing is we have tons and tons and tons of free ctg books around to use with Chessbase, and very few free bin books to use with polyglot. But you can make your own books and beat every books working hard in urs. But this is another story.

All you need can be found in our forum, books, tablebases. Rybka 4 is commercial and only by Private Messages.

stealth_killer

Post by stealth_killer »

XsupremeX wrote:No, the thing is we have tons and tons and tons of free ctg books around to use with Chessbase, and very few free bin books to use with polyglot. But you can make your own books and beat every books working hard in urs. But this is another story.

All you need can be found in our forum, books, tablebases. Rybka 4 is commercial and only by Private Messages.
Well! I do understand your point, but can you at least tell me how could I be making my own book, any guidance on this will really help. I don't mind doing it the long and hard way, even if i have to, I am eager to learn and improvise, so if you could guide me ... :mrgreen:

P.S: Thanks for making this a new topic, I really didn't know where to post

Johnbits

POGO (YaYp) - Not Working

Post by Johnbits »

Hi, I'm new at this and have downloaded the YaYp Ultimate Installer and also replaced the YaYp.exe with the newer version and tried typing in 12305 when it can't find the port after double clicking on the YaYp Ultimate shortcut on my desktop but I receive a message in the msdos box saying that winboard is trying to connect to port 6000. Is there a new full installer available yet? If not can someone please help!

Johnbits

Re: POGO (YaYp) - Not Working

Post by Johnbits »

Thank you for response but still not working, should Winboard still be trying to connect on port 6000 after I enter 12303?

YaYp will not log opcodes activity.
Please select a room.
Enter 1 for "Deep Fritz" or 2 for "A Clockwork Orange":

Loading user(s) from "userids.dat" .....
Done.
Logging YaYpTester......
Succesfull log in to POGO
Server port number not found.
Please enter port number:
Waiting for Winboard connection on port 6000...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I installed YaYpInstaller.exe product version 2.0.0.92 and replaced its YaYp.exe file with the one this forum said was newer. I also tried changing the port from 6000 to 12303 in the YaYp with polyglot.bat but still not working. Anything else I should be doing?

Waldemar
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Waldemar »

No, that bat file will be always port 6000, no change it. If you have a normal Pogo ID, YaYp will automaticly select the port. You need to type port only if your ID is a Pogo Club ID.

The room you can choose is "2" because "1" you will not find players. 2 = A Clockwork Orange room.

More info in your C:/ drive C:\YaYp_Ultimate\YaYp Documentation and Tutorials (read the document "YaY Tutorial for Polyglot").

Good Luck!

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

Johnbits wrote:Thank you for response but still not working, should Winboard still be trying to connect on port 6000 after I enter 12303?

Please select a room.

Done.
Logging YaYpTester......

I installed YaYpInstaller.exe product version 2.0.0.92 and replaced its YaYp.exe file with the one this forum said was newer. I also tried changing the port from 6000 to 12303 in the YaYp with polyglot.bat but still not working. Anything else I should be doing?
You might want to modify the bat file and use your own ID, YaYpTester is not you.

Good luck,

P.S. I noticed that YaYp is not detecting incorrect log ins, this will be fixed at some time later.
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)
- You will be baned, sooner or later,
- It gives us (the true chess engine players) a bad reputation.

Johnbits

Post by Johnbits »

XsupremeX wrote:No, that bat file will be always port 6000, no change it. If you have a normal Pogo ID, YaYp will automaticly select the port. You need to type port only if your ID is a Pogo Club ID.

The room you can choose is "2" because "1" you will not find players. 2 = A Clockwork Orange room.

More info in your C:/ drive C:\YaYp_Ultimate\YaYp Documentation and Tutorials (read the document "YaY Tutorial for Polyglot").

Good Luck!

Thank you, I managed to get it working now and found that the answers given to the Newbie posts regarding using another UCI engine was also helpful!
I had to use an existing user account that I have with Pogo though as the Add_New_User feature did not work. I played against other YaYp users, it was fun!

Johnbits

Post by Johnbits »

matematiko wrote:
Johnbits wrote:Thank you for response but still not working, should Winboard still be trying to connect on port 6000 after I enter 12303?

Please select a room.

Done.
Logging YaYpTester......

You might want to modify the bat file and use your own ID, YaYpTester is not you.

Good luck,

P.S. I noticed that YaYp is not detecting incorrect log ins, this will be fixed at some time later.
Thanks for your response, I tried changing my name to something other than YaYpTester and entered the port 12303 but it did not work. It reported that the existing connection was forcibly closed. Any ideas? Do I have to use an existing account with Pogo? Also while I was playing against other people using programs with my existing Pogo account I found I could not start the game if I joined playing the black pieces. After I saw their message welcome "my user name" I only play against other programs. I could not find the command to use to start the game since he has to move first.

Waldemar
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Waldemar »

Johnbits wrote:the Add_New_User feature did not work.
I just wonder if you marked this option, cuz I tried and this feature works:

Johnbits wrote:Do I have to use an existing account with Pogo? I could not find the command to use to start the game since he has to move first.
Sure you have to use your own Pogo ID hehehe, and to see useful commands, right click in ICS Interaction window like this:

PS Sometimes opponent that is sat in white seat freezes,not making the 1st move, rejoin table to force a new game and so a new move by him.

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

G to:
http://www.pogo.com/action/pogo/lightregview.do
And create your IDs

Regards,
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)

Johnbits

Post by Johnbits »

XsupremeX wrote:
Johnbits wrote:the Add_New_User feature did not work.
I just wonder if you marked this option, cuz I tried and this feature works:

Johnbits wrote:Do I have to use an existing account with Pogo? I could not find the command to use to start the game since he has to move first.
Sure you have to use your own Pogo ID hehehe, and to see useful commands, right click in ICS Interaction window like this:

PS Sometimes opponent that is sat in white seat freezes,not making the 1st move, rejoin table to force a new game and so a new move by him.

Once again I really appreciate your help XsupremeX and also matematiko. :Bravo

Now that I have this working I may also try and see if I can get my Fritz 12 working to see what the benefits are. :D

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

Johnbits wrote:
Now that I have this working I may also try and see if I can get my Fritz 12 working to see what the benefits are. :D
Remember to follow the instructions found in the Documentation folder.

Good luck,
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,