Newbie in YaYp

An ICS Emulator for POGO Chess
Johnbits

Re: Newbie in YaYp

Post by Johnbits »

Which endgame tablebases can I use with YaYp + Polyglot? Also where can I get them? Would like them to work with Rybka 4 UCI engine. Many places I've searched have broken links or you have to use eMule to download them which I had problems trying to do this. I hear alot about Nalimov 3-4-5 tablebases but am confused about which ones I need from what I understand the ones for Fritz, Chessbase are different than the ones I need for the above software. Would appreciate someones help with this!
Last edited by Johnbits on 08 Jan 2011 05:58, edited 4 times in total.

Johnbits

Re: POGO (YaYp) - Not Working

Post by Johnbits »

matematiko wrote:
Johnbits wrote:
Now that I have this working I may also try and see if I can get my Fritz 12 working to see what the benefits are. :D
Remember to follow the instructions found in the Documentation folder.

Good luck,

Thanks!

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

Johnbits wrote:Which endgame tablebases can I use with YaYp + Polyglot? Also where can I get them? Would like them to work with Rybka 4 UCI engine. Many places I've searched have broken links or you have to use eMule to download them which I had problems trying to do this. I hear alot about Nalimov 3-4-5 tablebases but am confused about which ones I need from what I understand the ones for Fritz, Chessbase are different than the ones I need for the above software. Would appreciate someones help with this!
The table bases needed depend on the engine used.

Currently most UCI engine use Nalimov.

Robolito uses its own RoboBases (or something like that).

Houdini, Gaviota and I suspect in the future most engines will use Gaviota table bases(because of its license).

Concerning where to download them, sorry I do not have an answer for that. But be sure you download the ones that have name extensions like this:
*.nbb.emd and *.nbw.emd. There should be 290 files for a total of 7.05 Giga bytes.

Until you get familiar with this subject, avoid downloading any of the 6 piece TBs. Why? Because you will spend an eternity downloading a terabyte, because the help gained is not much, etc.

Good luck,
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)
- You will be baned, sooner or later,
- It gives us (the true chess engine players) a bad reputation.

Johnbits

Post by Johnbits »

matematiko wrote:
Johnbits wrote:Which endgame tablebases can I use with YaYp + Polyglot? Also where can I get them? Would like them to work with Rybka 4 UCI engine. Many places I've searched have broken links or you have to use eMule to download them which I had problems trying to do this. I hear alot about Nalimov 3-4-5 tablebases but am confused about which ones I need from what I understand the ones for Fritz, Chessbase are different than the ones I need for the above software. Would appreciate someones help with this!
The table bases needed depend on the engine used.

Currently most UCI engine use Nalimov.

Robolito uses its own RoboBases (or something like that).

Houdini, Gaviota and I suspect in the future most engines will use Gaviota table bases(because of its license).

Concerning where to download them, sorry I do not have an answer for that. But be sure you download the ones that have name extensions like this:
*.nbb.emd and *.nbw.emd. There should be 290 files for a total of 7.05 Giga bytes.

Until you get familiar with this subject, avoid downloading any of the 6 piece TBs. Why? Because you will spend an eternity downloading a terabyte, because the help gained is not much, etc.

Good luck,

All right lets see if I understood so I can use *.emd with the Rybka 4 UCI engine with YaYp + Ployglot +Winboard? (do not want to use the Fritz or Chessbase GUI's for now - don't know how yet). Also I've read that I have to use the *.bin Opening Books with the YaYp + Polyglot + Winboard and can't use the *.ctg type. Is this the case? THANK YOU very much with your help with this. :smile20

P.S. I think you were on Pogo last night as YaYp7 and I tried to join your table but did not have enough points even at 2150 and I think your's was 2266. Did you have it set to play higher than your rating? :(
If this was not you than please excuse me hehehe...

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

All right lets see if I understood so I can use *.emd with the Rybka 4 UCI engine with YaYp + Ployglot +Winboard? (do not want to use the Fritz or Chessbase GUI's for now - don't know how yet).
Yes, I also use the very same TBs with Fritz.
Also I've read that I have to use the *.bin Opening Books with the YaYp + Polyglot + Winboard and can't use the *.ctg type. Is this the case?
Yes, polyglot uses it own format of books which are known as bin books. You can use CTG books with polyglot also, but is more, much more complicated, specially for beginners. When you think you are ready search this forum or Google for "Aquarium Book Adapter".
I think you were on Pogo last night as YaYp7 and I tried to join your table but did not have enough points even at 2150 and I think your's was 2266. Did you have it set to play higher than your rating?
Yes, YaYp7 is one of my IDs, and is set up to reject players with less than 100 points from my own rating.

Good luck,
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)
- You will be baned, sooner or later,
- It gives us (the true chess engine players) a bad reputation.

Johnbits

Post by Johnbits »

matematiko wrote:
All right lets see if I understood so I can use *.emd with the Rybka 4 UCI engine with YaYp + Ployglot +Winboard? (do not want to use the Fritz or Chessbase GUI's for now - don't know how yet).
Yes, I also use the very same TBs with Fritz.
Also I've read that I have to use the *.bin Opening Books with the YaYp + Polyglot + Winboard and can't use the *.ctg type. Is this the case?
Yes, polyglot uses it own format of books which are known as bin books. You can use CTG books with polyglot also, but is more, much more complicated, specially for beginners. When you think you are ready search this forum or Google for "Aquarium Book Adapter".
I think you were on Pogo last night as YaYp7 and I tried to join your table but did not have enough points even at 2150 and I think your's was 2266. Did you have it set to play higher than your rating?
Yes, YaYp7 is one of my IDs, and is set up to reject players with less than 100 points from my own rating.

Good luck,

Thank you very much for your time!

Waldemar
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Waldemar »

Nalimov to Rybka here: ftp://ftp.uib.no/pub/chesslib/

Gaviota to Houdini here: http://www.olympuschess.com/egtb/gaviota/
4ut0 ch355 m3mb3r WALDEMAR...g00d g4m3 f0r 4ll...y4h000000! :ok

Johnbits

Post by Johnbits »

XsupremeX wrote:
Nalimov to Rybka here: ftp://ftp.uib.no/pub/chesslib/

Gaviota to Houdini here: http://www.olympuschess.com/egtb/gaviota/

Wow!!!! Really didn't expect this! It's people like you that make the world a better place! You must have a twin brother out there helping you out, man do you get around!
Thank you so much!
:ok