Winboard on FICS

All related to WinBoard
iTzaFiShY

Winboard on FICS

Post by iTzaFiShY »

Hey guys this is a great site and it has finally helped me set up Winboard to play on FICS with an engine... The only problem is the engine does not move when it is my turn to move! This is my shortcut for the Ivanhoe engine to use on FICS... C:\WinBoard-4.4.3\WinBoard\winboard.exe /zp /ics /icshost=freechess.org /icshelper=timeseal /fcp=Ivan.exe /fd=c:\ ... I just named it ivan and stuck it on the root of the C drive to make everything alot simpler. What happens though is when I run the shortcut it says loading chess program then that goes away and the login for fics shows up. I log in, start up a game and then when its my turn the time just ticks down as I'm supposed to move. Does this have to do with the engine I'm using? Im using Ivan63ModBsSSE2.exe, a modified Ivanhoe v999963 or whatever it is... Its worked fine when I import it into Fritz but I can't get it to work in winboard.. Thanks in advance to all who reply!! :)

iTzaFiShY

Re: Winboard on FICS

Post by iTzaFiShY »

Nvm guys I figured out how to use it and set it up right with Polyglot :)

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

iTzaFiShY wrote:Nvm guys I figured out how to use it and set it up right with Polyglot :)
I am glad you figured it out and sorry for the late reply. Yes, ivanhoe is an UCI engine and under WinBoard it can only be used thru polyglot.

There are two ways to do this:
1. The old way: declaring polyglot as the engine and have polyglot.ini point to the engine and its parameters.
2. The new way, declaring the engine like /fcp ivanhoe.exe, then telling WinBoard this engine is UCI /fUCI
For this to work WinBoard needs to know where polyglot is.

I still have to master and understand how this new way works. Someday in the future I will make a tutorial.

Regards
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)
- You will be baned, sooner or later,
- It gives us (the true chess engine players) a bad reputation.

iTzaFiShY

Post by iTzaFiShY »

Dont worry about it matematiko :) Ive never heard of that new way so I got it working the old way.

jhone001

Post by jhone001 »

I thought I had tested '\n' once and it didn't work. Was years ago though-- Perhaps I imagined it not working, or am just remembering incorrectly. The other thing (also from memory) was routinely getting output like: "I'm not ready for a game yet" occasionally when ppl rematched. I had intended to see the cause and perhaps address it, but never got around to it.