what are the best opening books?

el hermano

what are the best opening books?

Post by el hermano »

i have so many openings book and they all lose easy whit blacks.
i use fritz 11 as interface and rybka 3 as engine.

i have My book 13 lose with blacks
perfect 15 lose with blacks
storm 3.2 lose with black
i mix them all in my frits they still lose whit blacks :|

can someone tell me the best book so i can have a good program

sorry for my English this is my first post :D

chiuauaboys
Banned User
Banned User

Re: what are the best opening books?

Post by chiuauaboys »

el hermano wrote:i have so many openings book and they all lose easy whit blacks.

try gabriel.ctg

Akrura

Post by Akrura »

Try new mybook 14.1

You might be lossing because opponent must be using their own books...mybook 14, mybook 14.1, perfect 15..etc are best public books..

dene
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by dene »

asfurni wrote:Try new mybook 14.1

You might be lossing because opponent must be using their own books...mybook 14, mybook 14.1, perfect 15..etc are best public books..

That sounds about right to me

Fortress_Defense
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Fortress_Defense »

Well, I assume the best books are private anyhow.

But yes, myBook 14.1

Perhaps you should build a database and create your own CTG book for use.
"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success."

el hermano

Post by el hermano »

but i dont know how to create me own book :( i still dont know how to create a empty book can someone explane me step by step pls. thanx or can someone pass me one of there books so i can use it i have fritz 11 but i need to put it at max to be good but i dont know how pls osmeone can help me with that.

Waldemar
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Waldemar »

Look around, the forum already has a lot of books to you use, just check Opening Book Section.
4ut0 ch355 m3mb3r WALDEMAR...g00d g4m3 f0r 4ll...y4h000000! :ok

goldminer999

Post by goldminer999 »

el hermano wrote:but i dont know how to create me own book :( i still dont know how to create a empty book can someone explane me step by step pls. thanx or can someone pass me one of there books so i can use it i have fritz 11 but i need to put it at max to be good but i dont know how pls osmeone can help me with that.
Hi,

To make your own book:

1. Start with a database of games that you want to use to make your book.

2. Create a new book in Fritz by selecting FILE/NEW/OPENINGS BOOK - call it anything you like.

3. Open your new book by selecting FILE/OPEN/OPENINGS BOOK and selecting the new book you created earlier.

4. Now import the games from your database by selecting EDIT/OPENINGS BOOK/IMPORT GAMES and navigating to your database.

5. There is a dialogue box which you need to tick against. "Games" is the number of games you want to import. Default is all games are selected so leave this. "Length" is how deep the lines will be in the book. Choosing "ECO-relative" plus a number will make the main line variations longer than the oddball side variations. If you pick "Absolute length" and a number, it will make all the variations the length you chose, regardless of whether the variation is a main line or side line - so book will be deeper. "Include variations" is important if some of the games from your database contain commentary in the form of sub-variations, but can be left un-ticked.

6. When you're finished with these settings, click "OK". You'll see a progress bar appear, keeping you posted as to how close Fritz has come to completing the, you'll see a menu of moves where the empty book had been and a small window saying "x new positions" (this tells you how many positions total are in the new tree). Click OK, and you're finished.

To manually edit the book

if you have the little booklet that came with Fritz 9 then in sections 5.6 and all of section 11 give details. Also there is a manual on the Fritz 9 DVD . Pages 49 to 54 give some instructions to have a look at. Meanwhile here is a brief pointer:

Go into Fritz and do File/Open/Openings Book and select the book you want to edit. Then select the Openings Book tab on right hand side of screen. Basically you can either

a) add a new move to the book, To do this right click somewhere in that book area (not on a move just in empty space) and tick Allow Move Adding. then when you play back through a game and want to add new line, just make the move on the actual board and then select new main line from the options. This will then have added the move to the book.

b) change the 'weighting' of an existing move making it more/less likely to be chosen. This is shown in the Prob / % column. To change it right click on the actual move itself and do change weight. The value is from -125 (very unlikely to be picked) to +125 (very likely to be picked). You can change these manually to any value. Actually this is what the automatic book learning does based on whether games are won or lost - but this is how you do it manually.

c) or mark moves either red (means they won't be played ever) or green (mean they will be picked, with a probablility given by the % column). To make a move red right click on it and select Don't play in tournament
To make a move green right click on it and select Main Move. You might want to make a move red if you find that at some point in the book line you had a negative evaluation and therefore you can mark that move red so it won't be played again.

There is a lot more to it than this but this should give you enough to start creating and editing your book. I hope this helps you.

SpartaWarrior

Post by SpartaWarrior »

el hermano wrote:i have so many openings book and they all lose easy whit blacks.

Mixing .ctg books or adding games to a book that is already hand tuned ie finished is about the worst thing you can do...You severely handicap the original