the finer points of tuning a bin book

pernicus

the finer points of tuning a bin book

Post by pernicus »

well i've got most of the making the book process down now for tuning

after i've played 50 or so games against strong players how do i go about tuning the book?

what i've been doing, take several high quality games and sort them based on white win vs black win checkmates only games over 30 moves

make one black.bin of black wins 200ply and white.bin white wins 200ply then merge the books

but to tune this book later i had been taking games i played with it and sorting them teh same way whtie win/black win seperate book then merg and tehn merging that small book with the larger one i was using initially for said games(the one i'm trying to tune)

well i opened that book later with scid to hand tune and play around with scid to learn hwo to use it and it seems that merging that smaller book with the larger one had changed it so that i ONLY play the line from teh smaller book, my current book was 100% e4 first move as white and 100% sicilian as black .... :smile20

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Re: the finer points of tuning a bin book

Post by matematiko »

pernicus wrote:well i've got most of the making the book process down now for tuning

after i've played 50 or so games against strong players how do i go about tuning the book?

what i've been doing, take several high quality games and sort them based on white win vs black win checkmates only games over 30 moves

make one black.bin of black wins 200ply and white.bin white wins 200ply then merge the books

but to tune this book later i had been taking games i played with it and sorting them teh same way whtie win/black win seperate book then merg and tehn merging that small book with the larger one i was using initially for said games(the one i'm trying to tune)

well i opened that book later with scid to hand tune and play around with scid to learn hwo to use it and it seems that merging that smaller book with the larger one had changed it so that i ONLY play the line from teh smaller book, my current book was 100% e4 first move as white and 100% sicilian as black .... :smile20
You can not merge two books just like that. One needs to be made with the -blacks-only command and the other one with the -whites-only command.

I know you did this, but when you later merged the large book with the small book things got messed up didnt they? Also remember that -in1 takes precedence over -in2.

So, once a book is merged from a whites only book and a blacks only book, it is not suposed to be merged again with a full book.

Your best best bet is to hand tune it or start from scratch.

The only way to keep merging a book is when both input books are for the same color or from different color when you are merging the final book. I hope it makes sense.

Cheers,
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)
- You will be baned, sooner or later,
- It gives us (the true chess engine players) a bad reputation.