Windows Vista

An ICS Emulator for YAHOO Chess
tadjock

Windows Vista

Post by tadjock »

Do all of this Yay Files , Stuci Files for auto play on yahoo work on Windows Vista? I have Xp and everything works- thinking of upgrading to vista...anyviews or problems with Yay using Vista OS.

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Re: Windows Vista

Post by matematiko »

Yes, everything works in Windows Vista also, the only problem is that Vista's firewall might block the script from communicating with Yahoo. One of our members (dene) find a work around this issue. You migth want to send him a private message and/or see if he sees this post and post a replay. Meanwhile I will dig thru my old e-mails and if I find the answer first I'll post it here.

Good Luck,
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)
- You will be baned, sooner or later,
- It gives us (the true chess engine players) a bad reputation.

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

Two users I know they had to disable User Account Control in Windows Vista in order for YaY to work.
Next I quote a message sent to me by a good friend:
Hi,

To disable UAC (user account control) in Vista, open msconfig, click on 'Tools', then scroll down untill u get to 'Disable UAC', click on it and then apply, close msconfig, reboot PC.

You can Enable UAC again from msconfig/tools.
Note: I do not use Windows Vista and neither I have the sligthest idea of what UAC does or what the effects of having it disable will be. Disable it at your own risk. If in doubt, use Google and do your own research and post comments in the subject please.

Good luck,
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)

dene
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by dene »

Hi,

UAC (user account control) is part of windows Vista's new built in security, but it can be a pain in the ass. It seems to prevent YaY and similar programs from working. Turning this off was a quick fix to the problem when I first tried to get YaY working under Vista. There may be a way to allow YaY to work with UAC turned on, ...if I get time to look into this and I find a solution I'll post it on here.

Note: I recommend installing a decent firewall and antivirus before turning UAC off. I have had no problems with UAC turned off and You can eaily turn UAC back on again from msconfig if you do not intend to use your chess program for a while.

linasinblues
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by linasinblues »

i use windows vista ultimate 64 bit without problem. you're right , you just have to disable the UAC for the 64 bit to work on yahoo. its much faster now when i use 64 bit. works best with rybka 64. :ok :ok :ok . do you guys think that adding a Killer NIC card is advisable? i will try this, might be good for 1 min games. :ok :ok

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

linasinblues wrote:i use windows vista ultimate 64 bit without problem. you're right , you just have to disable the UAC for the 64 bit to work on yahoo. its much faster now when i use 64 bit. works best with rybka 64. :ok :ok :ok . do you guys think that adding a Killer NIC card is advisable? i will try this, might be good for 1 min games. :ok :ok
Moving in closer to the Yahoo facilities will help you a lot in your 1/0 games. I know this sounds stupid but I had come to the conclusion (after thousands of 1/0 games I had played) that the closer your live to California the better for 1/0 games.

Although I woudnt move to California even if they pay me.....

What is a killer NIC?

Cheers,
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,

linasinblues
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by linasinblues »

Network Card Designed for Gaming The Killer™ Gaming Network Card from Bigfoot Networks is designed to reduce lag and latency often experienced in high action interactive MMO and First Person Shooter games. Killer accelerates your game data for a smoother more responsive online gaming experience and a competitive edge.
Improved Responsiveness
Bypasses the Windows® network stack reducing
in-game ping and giving you the edge you need.
Smoother Gameplay When it Matters Most
Offloads all network processing from the CPU to boost frame rates, especially during moments of intense action.
Faster Game Data
Game network packets are prioritized so they get to and from your game faster.
Learn about Killer NIC

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

Thx for the answer.
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,