Stuci 030 bugs

STUCI auto chess program for yahoo
mocipako2008

Stuci 030 bugs

Post by mocipako2008 »

Zappa , Stuci 030 version sometimes when it is time to make a queen from a pawn it (not always) stops to play.

zappa_engine

Re: Stuci 030 bugs

Post by zappa_engine »

Thanks for the report.

I would like more information about this to try to reproduce it myself. You mentioned the situation only happened sometimes and I'd like to find more solid reason for it happening. Some questions I have would be:

Does it happen when your side tries to convert a pawn to a queen? Or does it happen when the opponent tries to convert a pawn to a queen? Or both?
Does it happen when you're playing white? Or black? Or the opponent is playing white? Or black?
Does this happen in other variations of YtoICS, YaY? If it doesn't, I have reason to believe when I switch to the newer Board.pm based on CVS introduced some bugs.

In any case, I will teach you a trick to salvage the game in case this happens and the game stops moving. It's an imperfect solution as you will not be host of the table you were on anymore but it will "recover" the game. To do this, you will need to know the table number you're on. You can get this by typing "primary". Next type "recover <table#>", for example if you're on table 15, you'd type "recover 15". You will notice yourself leaving the table and then rejoining the table quickly. This is done so the server will resend us the board position again (since our internal board representation broke somehow). Then our engine can read this updated board position and resume normally.

In the meantime, if anyone can provide more information on how to reproduce this issue exactly again, post here to let us developers know. Thanks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNASSON_JMU
Concerning STUCI and why it's never really done... here's a metaphor: Instead of being a construction worker, I'd rather be an architect.
Losing too many games because of a slow PC? No problem, nUCI it!

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

I don't know if this is the case, but, in chessbase GUI program( Fritz 10 or whatever), under tools, options, Game tab, there is an option called "Always Promote to Queen", if this options is checked and the engine tries to promote to something else, there might be a conflict there. I personally have this option unchecked.

Same situation with Winboard, under options, General tab, there is an option called "Always Queen". I have this option unchecked.

I hope this helps.
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)
- You will be baned, sooner or later,
- It gives us (the true chess engine players) a bad reputation.

zappa_engine

Post by zappa_engine »

While I was away thinking about this issue, I thought it would be nice to know what platform caused this issue. Matematiko addressed this issue to a point and another issue I didn't think of. But in general, I'd also like to know.

What OS are you running this script on? (most use windows, I use linux)
Are you using polyglot or auto232d (chessbase adapter)?
What engine are you using? (rybka, zappa mexico, shredder, hiarcs, fruit, etc)

As well, in a way, I'd like to know the moves that produced this issue where the engine will not recognize the board position anymore and it gives me an idea to introduce a new command to save the game moves into an external file-- for debugging or simply just to save some of your favorite games for later review. Quite possibly to extend on that project, something could be done to convert the moves to the PGN format to view in more advanced GUI programs out there, or even make a custom book from them!
Concerning STUCI and why it's never really done... here's a metaphor: Instead of being a construction worker, I'd rather be an architect.

g00dtr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by g00dtr »

a bug in stuci, when the match ends with a draw, the table gets protected and can't be changed

zappa_engine

Post by zappa_engine »

I'm guessing you're talking about a specific type of draw. One that is "user-offered" and "user-accepted" which calls opcode 0x77 and one I was speaking about before in another thread. There was no function mapped to this opcode but it should have been mapped over to a game over routine. If that isn't the case, let me know. This is fixed by the edits mentioned in the other thread.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=143

Well, to unprotect a table, you can type:
protect 0

Other options like 1 is protected table and 2 is private table. The 0 option I mentioned is public table.

g00dtr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by g00dtr »

When the game starts, the table automatically gets protected, when the game is finished, it gets public again, if the game ends in draw, (draw by insufficient material or third repitition) the table cannot be gotten public

zappa_engine

Post by zappa_engine »

I have no clue then.

I did a quick overview of the code and went to the function (top_makemove) that takes care of displaying results such as draws (and wins/loses). It sends the results over to gameover function which calls clear_gip function. In this clear_gip function it sets the protect mode back to public as with a win or a lost would do too. I don't see any logic errors in the code but again I could be overlooking something else.

Let me know if this happens again. I am really stumped here and will keep my eye out on it. More details would be appreciated.
P.S. If you are host of the table, yes it can be put back into public by typing 'protect 0'

mocipako2008

Post by mocipako2008 »

When i play with white and the black make a queen the white stop playing. I haven't tried with black, because i play always with white.

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

TheSicilian wrote:
mocipako2008 wrote:When i play with white and the black make a queen the white stop playing. I haven't tried with black, because i play always with white.
Your program (chess engine) must be crap if you cannot allow your opponent an equal oppurtunity to play white as well!!
TheSicilian,

You are starting to remind me of chesslover89. Answering in a sarcastic or agressive way to questions posted months ago. Sometimes I beleive that all the 60 questions you made were just a hoax to try to gain our trust because I found really suspicious that one day you don't know nothing about playing in Yahoo and next day you are an extremly strong player, anyway that's another subject.

The subject in hand is this: you did not even answer a question. You just made a sarcastic and offensive statement and I am not going to allow that. After all the help you received the least you can do is help others as well and save your useless comments.

I'll be watching you.
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

I was going to do it in a most appropriate occasion but I am going to take this opportunity to apologize to everyone for the aggressive behavior I showed a few weeks ago. Although there is no excuse, I think that at least I am allowed to say that the pressure I was under for trying to finish YaY Ultimate made me a little, let’s say, impatient.

That been said, I want you to know that I am cool with you, so let’s start from scratch again and make the best of this forum.
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,