polyglot book making...what am i doing wrong?

Polyglot here
pernicus

polyglot book making...what am i doing wrong?

Post by pernicus »

i have the pgn files and polyglot exe and cyg etc all in the same folder and using the command lines it says to in the read me file :crasha :crasha

Waldemar
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Re: polyglot book making...what am i doing wrong?

Post by Waldemar »

1st. You dont open the polygot.exe clicking on it. You need to open the prompt of command and indicate the path.

2nd. What is the name of polyglot.exe? If it is polygot.exe

use: polyglot make-book and command u want ex: -pgn 1.pgn -bin 1.bin -max-ply 50 (make changes as u wish)
would be: polyglot make-book -pgn 1.pgn -bin 1.bin -max-ply 50

If polyglot14w4.exe

use: polyglot14w4 make-book and command u want ex: -min-game 1 -uniform -only-white -pgn games.pgn -bin w1.bin (make changes as u wish)
would be: polyglot14w4 make-book -min-game 1 -uniform -only-white -pgn games.pgn -bin w1.bin

Ps. Those were some commands Im sure you have yours. And make sure b4 put command, the path to right folder where is all ur poly and pgn stuff was indicated.

You also have more information here: http://www.autochess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=474
4ut0 ch355 m3mb3r WALDEMAR...g00d g4m3 f0r 4ll...y4h000000! :ok

pernicus

Post by pernicus »

xsupremex wrote:1st. You dont open the polygot.exe clicking on it. You need to open the prompt of command and indicate the path.

2nd. What is the name of polyglot.exe? If it is polygot.exe

use: polyglot make-book and command u want ex: -pgn 1.pgn -bin 1.bin -max-ply 50 (make changes as u wish)
would be: polyglot make-book -pgn 1.pgn -bin 1.bin -max-ply 50

If polyglot14w4.exe

use: polyglot14w4 make-book and command u want ex: -min-game 1 -uniform -only-white -pgn games.pgn -bin w1.bin (make changes as u wish)
would be: polyglot14w4 make-book -min-game 1 -uniform -only-white -pgn games.pgn -bin w1.bin

Ps. Those were some commands Im sure you have yours. And make sure b4 put command, the path to right folder where is all ur poly and pgn stuff was indicated.

You also have more information here: http://www.autochess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=474
appreciate the link i swear i thought i had looked everywhere lol

i ended up doing the .cmd file thing mate suggested, it saves a lot of time...my book has improved 100x fold just from a couple hours of adjusting it and adding high quality games to it...my little 1.8ghz single core has been actually winning >50% of games as black against people with quads and non custom books :hhh :hhh :hhh

instant_killquick

Post by instant_killquick »

Ugh! the book-making commands are not working and i have everything in the right place...

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

instant_killquick wrote:...........not working and i have everything in the right place...
Obviously not.

Are you just complaining or asking for help? If you are seeking help, then you need to give us information, like what error messages are you getting etc.

If you are just complaining, then I guess is OK.

Cheers,
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)
- You will be baned, sooner or later,
- It gives us (the true chess engine players) a bad reputation.

chiuauaboys
Banned User
Banned User

Post by chiuauaboys »

TO: PERNICUS/ REGARDING UR POST

appreciate the link i swear i thought i had looked everywhere

i ended up doing the .cmd file thing mate suggested, it saves a lot of time...my book has improved 100x fold just from a couple hours of adjusting it and adding high quality games to it...my little 1.8ghz single core has been actually winning >50% of games as black against people with quads and non custom books [/quote]

1. what did mate suggest you? why don't you post the suggestion?

Edited by matematiko
Sarcastic comment deleted.

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

He was probably talking about a post a made on September 2nd 2008 in this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=474&start=15

Cheers,
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)

instant_killquick

Post by instant_killquick »

matematiko wrote:
instant_killquick wrote:...........not working and i have everything in the right place...
Obviously not.

Are you just complaining or asking for help? If you are seeking help, then you need to give us information, like what error messages are you getting etc.

If you are just complaining, then I guess is OK.

Cheers,
...No, I'm not complaining..

I'll just write what happened...

I went into the CMD (Command Prompt). Then I typed in the location of where my files where (in this case, PGN) So I typed cd c:\PGN. Then it had a c:\PGN line underneath. So I typed in >Polyglot14w4. PolyGlot 1.4w4 by Fabien Letouzey appears after.

So I went into trying to merge two book files by using "polyglot merge-book -in1 w1.bin -in2 w2.bin -out w.bin". I tried doing the lines separately and then I tried all at once, both to no result.. Sooo yeah =\ That's what happened.

Waldemar
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Waldemar »

Question: Do you have into your PGN folder these books you want to merge and you have indicated in your command?

w1.bin and w2.bin
4ut0 ch355 m3mb3r WALDEMAR...g00d g4m3 f0r 4ll...y4h000000! :ok

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

This is one of the things he is doing wrong: He is launching polyglot without arguments.

Before I tell you what to do, let me point out two observations.

1.- The original polyglot executable by Fabien Letouzey was polyglot.exe and to be able to run in windows, it requiered the file cygwin1.dll to be in the same folder. For some reason Letouzey stopped developing polyglot and another guy or group of guys continue development, as a result now the cygwin1.dll file is not needed anymore and the name of the executable is now different, like : Polyglot14w4

2.- There are two programs built into one inside the polyglot executable: One is the Winboard UCI engine adaptor and the other one is the book maker program.

That been said, when polyglot is launched without arguments, the program reached is the engine adaptor which will open a dos prompt and there are some commands that can be entered here (go, uci, etc). Book making commands should never been entered when in this mode because this section of polyglot does not know what to do with them.

To reach the book making section, you must launch polyglot with the desired arguments.

instant_killquick, do not follow the examples in an identical way as you see them, because the name of the executable can be different.

I see the name of your polyglot executable is Polyglot14w4, so, what you must do is open a command prompt where your polyglot and databases are (it is more simpler when polyglot executable and the database are in the same folder), and launch for example the next command:

Polyglot14w4.exe merge-book -in1 w1.bin -in2 w2.bin -out w.bin

Please observe that I just copied the command from your post and I only changed polyglot for Polyglot14w4, I dont really understand why are you trying to merge books if you havent created one yet. You need to do some more reading.

Good luck,
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,