DeepThought wrote: dene_0000
PS. Yeah, thats me!

DeepThought
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: How To Use Polygot!!!

Post by DeepThought »

I did. So you're the one.
I don't know half of you, half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you, half as well as you deserve. Confused? Good. Sign of normality.

DeepThought
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DeepThought »

yahoo /ics /icshost=127.0.0.1 /icsport=6000 /zp /fcp="polyglot.exe polyglot_1st.ini"

That's what I use.
I don't know half of you, half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you, half as well as you deserve. Confused? Good. Sign of normality.

dene
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by dene »

DeepThought wrote:yahoo /ics /icshost=127.0.0.1 /icsport=6000 /zp /fcp="polyglot.exe polyglot_1st.ini"

That's what I use.
Ive havnt got round to setting up polyglot here (I use chessbase), simply because my books arnt in the format needed for polyglot.

But shouldnt your winboard shortcut target line be more like this ...

"C:\Program Files\Winboard\winboard.exe" /zp /ics /icshost 127.0.0.1 /icsport
6000 /fcp "polyglot.exe polyglot_1st.ini" ?

Thats if your winboard folder in program files is named winboard!

DeepThought
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DeepThought »

Still not working...

elcriollito

Post by elcriollito »

This a link to a site where u can read instruction about its use
http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/details/PolyGlot.html
"The winner of the game is the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
- Tartakover -
https://t.me/ChessEnginesTournaments

DeepThought
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DeepThought »

Hmmm... Yep, thanks.

linasinblues
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by linasinblues »

just wondering how to change engines and book using the polyglot. help needed. :smile20 :smile20

Waldemar
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Waldemar »

Hi guys... If somebody can help me I have just 2 questions:

In polyglot.ini Is everything correct to use the Naum book?

[Polyglot]
EngineDir = C:\Polygot\Engine\Rybka
EngineCommand = Rybka2.3.exe
Book = true
BookFile = C:\Polygot\Book\NaumBook.bin

[Engine]
UCI_LimitStrength = true
UCI_Elo = 1974
Hash = 128
NalimovPath = C:\TB
NalimovCache = 16
OwnBook = true

And in the shortcut Do I have to put the bold part?

"C:\Program Files\Winboard\winboard.exe" /zp /ics /icshost 127.0.0.1 /icsport
6000 /fcp "polyglot.exe polyglot_1st.ini"

4ut0 ch355 m3mb3r WALDEMAR...g00d g4m3 f0r 4ll...y4h000000! :ok

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

No is not correct to use naum book, somebody already said that Naum binary book does not uses the same format as polyglot made books.

If a *.ini file is not declared, then polyglot.exe opens(reads) by default the content of polyglot.ini in the same directory where polyglot.exe exists. So, yes you have to type the bold part but only if you want polyglot to read the content of a *ini file other than polyglot.ini

Good luck,
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)
- You will be baned, sooner or later,
- It gives us (the true chess engine players) a bad reputation.

Toga121par

Post by Toga121par »

It's really difficult to use polyglot if you don't fully understand the concepts/definitions of it's use, the protocol/s used by the engine and how the books were made. Even I had my bad days using polyglot. Here are additional tips to understand it better - very specific!

Polyglot is an engine adapter (UCI to WB adapter) in order to use a UCI engine in the Winboard interface. As we all know, only WB compatible engines or engines using this "protocol" can be used in the Winboard GUI. Therefore, you don't need polyglot when you use pure WB engines like Crafty, TSCP, Scorpio) in Winboard. Just verify the protocol used by the engine at WBEC, Playwitharena, or the author/engine link, before attempting to use polyglot. For the example above, which is Naum, it is a WB and UCI engine (all at the same time). So, you can use polyglot adapter to make Naum function as a WB engine (and use a polyglot book as well) or just forget using polyglot and make it function as a "native" WB engine and use it's own engine book. Alex Naumov named his opening books NaumBook.bin. It was built with his own book-builder and only Naum engine can use it. Make sure that Naumbook.bin resides in the engine folder together with naum.cfg (or naum's configuration file used by Naum).

So here are your options:

For the polyglot.ini file above, just remove these lines if you are planning only to use the engine book or NaumBook.bin:

Book = true
BookFile = C:\Polygot\Book\NaumBook.bin

But in case you want to use a polyglot book, say performance.bin, together with NaumBook.bin, just set Book=true and BookFile=C:\Polygot\Book\performance.bin in the Polyglot option of ini file. Just as the polyglot readme stated, when you use polyglot, the polyglot book comes first, and if it goes out of book, the enginebook will takeover.

Without polyglot, Naum can still be used as your "native" WB engine, the same way Crafty is used.

I hope this one clears the issue. Thanks.

tue_mouche
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by tue_mouche »

hi evryone!
i played with polyglot but it doesn't satisfied me cause to slow! and when i uninstalled it , it makes my yay version botijon not working!
can someone explain please what happend exactly and how to fix the problem! thank you very much!

ps: please don't tell me i'll have to uninstall all i've set.thx.

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

Polyglot can not be installed or uninstalled. It comes in a rar o zip file which you decompress and put to your folder of preference, so, what exactly you mean by "uninstall"? Maybe you deleted the whole Winboard Folder. Reinstall Winboard and try again.
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)

tue_mouche
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by tue_mouche »

matematiko wrote:Polyglot can not be installed or uninstalled. It comes in a rar o zip file which you decompress and put to your folder of preference, so, what exactly you mean by "uninstall"? Maybe you deleted the whole Winboard Folder. Reinstall Winboard and try again.
hi matematiko!
ok! i'm now trying to install ultimate with polyglot! when i click on polyglot a black window open (i suppose for filling id and passeword) and a small one below says me that: " cyngwin1.dll is not found,reinstall it can fix the problem". What is it about please!
thank you very much matematiko.
have a good day!

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

First: Google cyngwin1.dll, find the latest version and downloaded to the same folder you have polyglot.

Second: You re not suposed to double click on polyglot. Polyglot is launched as it was the first engine (that's rigth, "an engine", because is an engine emulator) of Winboard, this is done via the winboard.ini( the hard way) or via modifying a Winboard shortcut previously created.

Third: That's it, browse this FORUM, the answer is here.

Just a hint: The Target field of the winboard shortcut should be more or less like this:

"D:\Program Files (x86)\WinBoard_x\winboard_x.exe" /zp /ics /icshost 127.0.0.1 /icsport 6000 /fcp="polyglot.exe"

Of course this is just an example. Modify accordingly.

Cheers,
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,