How To Use Polygot!!!

Polyglot here
m.t_mode
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

How To Use Polygot!!!

Post by m.t_mode »

1-) First of all, we need to have Active Perl installed on our hard drive.

2-) Then we should download the "polyglot all in one.exe" file and install it, too.
Here is the link:
http://yedekdosyam.googlepages.com/polyglotallinone.exe

3-) Then we need to click on the YaY-polygot shortcut on the desktop.
Here are the instructions:
http://www.program.googlepages.com/yay4.htm

4-) After seeing the "waiting for connection" line, let's just click on the winbordforPolygot shortcut, which is on the desktop, as well.

5-) In the opening window, select "use an internet chess server" and click OK.

So, that's it. Now we've got our autoplayer connected to Yahoo.
Here it is the way how you can use it after creating the connection:
http://www.program.googlepages.com/yay8.htm
Ever tried, ever failed. Try again, fail again. Fail better.

Samuel Beckett

chesslover89
Banned User
Banned User

Re: How To Use Polygot!!!

Post by chesslover89 »

Great post MT !!!!!!! :-)

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

m.t_mode wrote:1-) First of all, we need to have Active Perl installed on our hard drive.

3-) Then we need to click on the YaY-polygot shortcut on the desktop.
Here are the instructions:
http://www.program.googlepages.com/yay4.htm

4-) After seeing the "waiting for connection" line, let's just click on the winbordforPolygot shortcut, which is on the desktop, as well.

5-) In the opening window, select "use an internet chess server" and click OK.
A faster way to do this, is modifying the Target content of the winboard shortcut (please notice that I did not say "polyglot shortcut", in reality, the shortcut is for windoboard and polyglot is declared as the FCP or first chess program).

To edit the target of the shortcut, rigth click on it and sdelect properties, then edit the content as you wish.

My particular shorcut Target content is as follows:
"C:\Program Files\Winboard\winboard.exe" /zp /ics /icshost 127.0.0.1 /icsport
6000 /fcp "polyglot.exe Rybka.ini"

The two lines above are supose to be one line but this windows is not long enough to display them in one line.
/zp If zippy is no declared in your winboard.ini, this is a good spot to do so.
/ics Here we are telling winboard to conect to an ics server.
/icshost Use 127.0.0.1 when using YtoICS( or any of its forks), although YtoICS is the
chess game client for the Yahoo Server, from the Winboard stand point of view
YtoICS is the server, therefor we need to use the IP of your computer, 127.0.0.1
/icsport Usually 6000 (must match the port declared in YtoICS)
/fcp FCP= First Chess Program, polyglot is nothing but an engine to winboard, but in
the background polyglot parses command from and to the engine specifid in the
polyglot.ini file
If you are not specifying a different .ini file then just do /fcp polyglot.exe , and polyglot will use polyglot.ini automaticaly.
If you want to specify a diferent .ini file then do something similar as I did in my example":
/fcp "polyglot.exe Rybka.ini" please notice que quotes""

I have several shurtcuts with a different name and I have a diferent ini file for polyglot.
The reason for these is to launch different engines or the same engine with different parameters without having to modify the polyglot.ini file every time.
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)
- You will be baned, sooner or later,
- It gives us (the true chess engine players) a bad reputation.

zappa_engine

Post by zappa_engine »

matematiko is very right on. I suspect he is a resident programmer in hiding.

The other hard part with setting up polyglot is setting up the INI files. It is different for everyone because people may choose to use different books and have different paths on their computer where everything is located. But this website which is the polyglot homepage I believe explains all the details.

http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/details/PolyGlot.html

Here is an example of both my windows and linux polyglot ini files and I think I'll upload a book as well to get you guys started off on the right foot.
Ooops, forum won't let me upload ini files. Here's the only .bin book file I can find at the moment, made for white only. Oh sorry, the forum isn't letting me upload .bin either. I'll have to zip these up and edit in the upload later. But in the meantime, check out that website for more information on configuration!
polyglot_quickstart.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNASSON_JMU
Concerning STUCI and why it's never really done... here's a metaphor: Instead of being a construction worker, I'd rather be an architect.
Losing too many games because of a slow PC? No problem, nUCI it!

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

zappa_engine wrote:matematiko is very right on. I suspect he is a resident programmer in hiding.]
Hello zappa_engine, thanks for your reply.

I am not hiding at all, for convinience I use the same ID in every PPH site-forum I register, but you can call me "profexxxional" or "paraxxxito" or "crazy.avatars" or "lnqeniero" or "viqilante" and the list goes on. And I am not a programmer per se, just a Perl tinkerer.

Cheers

P.S. Once upon a time I used to be matematiko at yahoo dot com , but that ID was deactivated :( .
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)

DeepThought
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DeepThought »

HELP ME!

When I execute the yay-polygot.pl, it shows a black screen (for commands right?) like the one, I see in this forum, then it closes, and it doesn't let me type in words... Can someone please help me?
I don't know half of you, half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you, half as well as you deserve. Confused? Good. Sign of normality.

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

I like to help you, but Idon't know what are you talking about, there is no such thing as yay-polyglot.pl. Where did you download that from?
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,

DeepThought
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DeepThought »

I downloaded it here. It's the shortcut on my desktop. When I execute it, it shows the black screen but no usernames, passwords, etc. It won't let me type too. Then it suddenly closes. I installed ActivePerl, and installed the polygotallinone.exe too. How can I fix this???
I don't know half of you, half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you, half as well as you deserve. Confused? Good. Sign of normality.

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

hmmmm, I am out of ideas here. Maybe one of the other moderators can help you with this....sorry
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,

g00dtr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by g00dtr »

Try to open it by clicking the YaY-polygot file, which is in the C:\Polygot\YaY folder.

DeepThought
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DeepThought »

Of course I already did that. :D

g00dtr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by g00dtr »

Hımm, try this one:
Delete all the files in the C:\Polygot\YaY folder, then download this:
http://members.cox.net/zozur/YaY_1.1_bO ... ditiOn.rar and copy what you download into that folder. Finally, try opening it with the yay.pl file

DeepThought
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DeepThought »

Yeah! It worked. Hey, that's an exe file. I heard about it in chat on yahoo chess his username was dene_0000 I think (Is it possible that he's dene in here?!). He said that there's blah-blah0blah that doesn't need active perl (I uninstalled activeperl). Well, thanks very much!

DeepThought
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DeepThought »

Another problem occured: When I lauch the winboard for polygot, and choose internet server, it opens then say:

FATAL ERROR

Could not connect to host 127.0.0.1, port 6000:
No connection could me made because the target machine actively refused it.

dene
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by dene »

DeepThought wrote:Another problem occured: When I lauch the winboard for polygot, and choose internet server, it opens then say:

FATAL ERROR

Could not connect to host 127.0.0.1, port 6000:
No connection could me made because the target machine actively refused it.
After logging in your user name/password, entering test word etc, are you then entering the port number, like 6000? If you dont enter the port number you will see that message.
Last edited by dene on 09 Dec 2007 08:12, edited 1 time in total.