Houdini: Gaviota and Nalimov Help!!!!

Polyglot here
reachnick2012

Houdini: Gaviota and Nalimov Help!!!!

Post by reachnick2012 »

I'm using YaY 3.2.2 with polyglot. My engine is Houdini 2.0c, opening book is RpC-SF 1.4.1. I've downloaded gaviota and nalimov table bases for Houdini, but I am not sure if they are active/loaded when I play.

This is the relevant part of my polyglot ini. Do I just point to the folder where the files are, and the engine handles the rest? Do I not have to point to a specific file?How do I know if they're being used in play? Another question, does it make a difference if I have a couple duplicate files in the folder? Thanks!

GaviotaTbPath=C:\gaviota
GaviotaTbCache=64
Hard Probe Depth=24
Soft Probe Depth=16
NalimovCache=32
NalimovPath=C:\nalimov
Mate Search=0
Numa Offset=0
Numa=true
Strength=100
Last edited by reachnick2012 on 29 Dec 2011 20:48, edited 1 time in total.

reachnick2012

Re: Need Help with EGTB's Please

Post by reachnick2012 »

also, don't I want mate search to be 100 and not 0? I want mate...

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Re: Houdini: Gaviota and Nalimov Help!!!!

Post by matematiko »

reachnick2012 wrote:I'm using YaY 3.2.2 with polyglot. My engine is Houdini 2.0c, opening book is RpC-SF 1.4.1. I've downloaded gaviota and nalimov table bases for Houdini, but I am not sure if they are active/loaded when I play.

This is the relevant part of my polyglot ini. Do I just point to the folder where the files are, and the engine handles the rest? Do I not have to point to a specific file?How do I know if they're being used in play? Another question, does it make a difference if I have a couple duplicate files in the folder? Thanks!

GaviotaTbPath=C:\gaviota
GaviotaTbCache=64
Hard Probe Depth=24
Soft Probe Depth=16
NalimovCache=32
NalimovPath=C:\nalimov
Mate Search=0
Numa Offset=0
Numa=true
Strength=100
Is true that with version 2.0c both table bases are supported now, but I do not think the engine was meant to use both at the same time. You should only use one set of end game table bases, but, this is just my personal opinion.

The answer to your question, yes: Just point to the folder where the bases files are.

One way to see if they are working correctly is to see at an endgame with 5 pieces or less, if the moves are done instantaneously and the engine is not thinking, you can see if the engine(or engines for multi-core) is thinking using Task Manager (Ctril-Alt-Del) Performance TAB. I the CPUs are at 100%, the engines are thinking (assuming pondering is on).

The other possible way, but I am not sure, is to declare and activate a houdini log, and analyze it.

I am going to take the opportunity to warn you, do not double post in this FORUM, one post is enough. Please read the FORUM rules.

Good luck,
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)
- You will be baned, sooner or later,
- It gives us (the true chess engine players) a bad reputation.

reachnick2012

Post by reachnick2012 »

my bad. good looks on the advice. should mate search be 0 or 1?

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

reachnick2012 wrote:my bad. good looks on the advice. should mate search be 0 or 1?
Not even the Author's documentation makes any mention of what this is for. When in doubt, leave in default which is zero, meanwhile go ask in other forums. Hopefully someone else will give us some input on this topic.

Regards,
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)

Prima

Post by Prima »

reachnick2012 wrote:Do I just point to the folder where the files are, and the engine handles the rest?
Yes.
Do I not have to point to a specific file?
No. Just pointing to the folder containing these files is sufficient.
How do I know if they're being used in play?

Just as Matematiko pointed out. Additionally, the engine tends to move faster when pieces on the board equals the total pieces of a Table base.
Another question, does it make a difference if I have a couple duplicate files in the folder? Thanks!
Having duplicates might end up slowing down the engine considerably during a critical [end-game] phase when the engine has little time left but has to make "double" table-base probes. So, remove duplicates.
should mate search be 0 or 1?
Houdini author used either Mate Search=10 or 15 for finding certain "tough" mate or draw positions. From what I gathered from TalkChess forum is, the concept behind Mate Search assists Houdini 2.0 find mate or draws a lot faster [within the set depth] than if wasn't set. Since I don't have H2.0 [by choice], I didn't pay much attention to H2.0 details.

reachnick2012

Post by reachnick2012 »

thank you so much I really appreciate your informative reply!

Prima

Post by Prima »

reachnick2012 wrote:thank you so much I really appreciate your informative reply!
You're welcome :ok

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by matematiko »

Keep in mind that during blitz games, 1/0 for example, forcing the engine to try to find a mate in 10 or 15 might end up in time losses...I do not really know. One thing to do is to experiment with this values, make notes then post results here if possible.

Regards,
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,

Prima

Post by Prima »

matematiko wrote:Keep in mind that during blitz games, 1/0 for example, forcing the engine to try to find a mate in 10 or 15 might end up in time losses...I do not really know. One thing to do is to experiment with this values, make notes then post results here if possible.

Regards,
IIRC, the Search Mate test done by Robert Houdart may have been done in blitz (1+1? or so). Nevertheless, your concern is valid.
I just needed to construe the Search Mate feature to reachnick2012.
I would test-out the Search Mate feature, but then again, I don't have Houdini 2.0. Nor do I intend on owning Houdini 2.0.

Best regards.

quade1337
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by quade1337 »

prima check my post in the winboard section please