Best Polyglot Opening Books

Polyglot here
Stoneface

Re: Best Polyglot Opening Books

Post by Stoneface »

Prima wrote:
Stoneface wrote: Only pity that with Houdini in Arena it not play with his .bin book & i'm pretty sure that my settings are correct, cause with stockfish in Arena use his book.bin there.
The reason Houdini will not use bin books in Arena GUI or in any other GUI is because Houdini does not natively have its "Own book" UCI option. Threfore, placing any bin book in Houdini's directory won't work as "Own book".

On the other hand, Stockfish has its "Own book" UCI option which happens to be a PolyGlot bin format. It's book can be any PolyGlot bin book (re)named as Book.bin, which works with Stockfish under any GUI. Just remember to place both the engine and its book in the same folder or directory.

Also not when i wrote the .ini file path in the "Engines/Manage/Detail tab/Special tab"- option menu from Arena, like i did? Cause that must let use the .ini file i made normally i think. And my ini file for Houdini is correct & the path to the performance.bin is include in it. Also the .bin book is in the same folder/map as the Houdini_15a_x64.exe, i'll see to find a way to do. Anyway i like more to play with Winboard, but like to change sometimes, ;)

Prima

Post by Prima »

Stoneface wrote:Also not when i wrote the .ini file path in the "Engines/Manage/Detail tab/Special tab"- option menu from Arena, like i did?
No. The .ini file is only valid under WinBoard and PolyGlot environment. The .ini files can be used with Aquarioum Book Adapter with certain manipulation, but that's a complicated route and another topic. Besides, the ABA is adapted towards Fritz GUIs and .ctg books.
Stoneface wrote:And my ini file for Houdini is correct & the path to the performance.bin is include in it. Also the .bin book is in the same folder/map as the Houdini_15a_x64.exe, i'll see to find a way to do.
Yes, this may be true that the path to your bin books are correct. Nevertheless, Arena environment does not honour .ini extensions - and so it won't work.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface »

Prima wrote:
Stoneface wrote:Also not when i wrote the .ini file path in the "Engines/Manage/Detail tab/Special tab"- option menu from Arena, like i did?
No. The .ini file is only valid under WinBoard and PolyGlot environment. The .ini files can be used with Aquarioum Book Adapter with certain manipulation, but that's a complicated route and another topic. Besides, the ABA is adapted towards Fritz GUIs and .ctg books.
Stoneface wrote:And my ini file for Houdini is correct & the path to the performance.bin is include in it. Also the .bin book is in the same folder/map as the Houdini_15a_x64.exe, i'll see to find a way to do.
Yes, this may be true that the path to your bin books are correct. Nevertheless, Arena environment does not honour .ini extensions - and so it won't work.

ooh, Then i'll made from it an .abk for Houdini in Arena then. That's the only sollution i guess. But that's optional, i'm playing mostly with the Winboard. Anyway thank you for the replay friend.

Stoneface 8)

Waldemar
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Waldemar »

Only way to use bin books with Houdini under Arena GUI is load polyglot.exe in Arena like it was an engine. Have a folder with polyglot.exe and polyglot.ini and edit your .ini with the bin you want, when you load polyglot.exe in Arena like it was an engine, this polyglot.exe will call the engine and bin book edited in polyglot.ini. If you wanna more bin books to test make more folders with same files and edit the new .ini in the new folder with another bin book.

PS Only newest polyglot.exe versions will be able to load in a GUI like Fritz or Arena as it was an engine.
4ut0 ch355 m3mb3r WALDEMAR...g00d g4m3 f0r 4ll...y4h000000! :ok

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface »

XsupremeX wrote:Only way to use bin books with Houdini under Arena GUI is load polyglot.exe in Arena like it was an engine. Have a folder with polyglot.exe and polyglot.ini and edit your .ini with the bin you want, when you load polyglot.exe in Arena like it was an engine, this polyglot.exe will call the engine and bin book edited in polyglot.ini. If you wanna more bin books to test make more folders with same files and edit the new .ini in the new folder with another bin book.

PS Only newest polyglot.exe versions will be able to load in a GUI like Fritz or Arena as it was an engine.

Now i learned something again, thx my friend. I've put the loaded polyglot.exe itself where normally the Houdini_1.5a_x64.exe engine come, the rest was allready correct. It works great. A nice turnaround to accomplish these things. Easy but have to know it! :Bravo

Thx for the nice tips to all. By the way, my PolyGlot .bin books working very good. One is about 2.24Mb, but is pretty strong. I knew it cause did a extremely good Opening study in the past & mostly if i lost it came by made a mistake/little mistake in the middle-endgame. That's why i not gonna make books with only 1-0 or 0-1 matches cause even the lost matches had a little advantage when come out of the opening.!

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface »

I know that in a pgn-file i've to remove the 'ep'(from en-passant capturing) cause otherwise the bookmaking give an error!! But now I was making a book from a pgn of 100 000+ games, but it gave an error wich i go let see here, including the commands i gave:

C:\MyBook>polyglot make-book -min-game 1 -min-score 0.0 -only-white -pgn CMwit.pgn -bin CMwit.bin -max-ply 469
PolyGlot 1.4.66b by Fabien Letouzey.
inserting games ...
tellusererror POLYGLOT: book_insert(): illegal move "Re1" at line 1308, column 38,game 71

If i checked it out with my databases(including SCID), and with WinBoard&Arena, the move is completely 'legal" but it stay give this error, even after when i retyped&saved the move again by myself. I tried many other things but can't find something wrong or 'illegal' on this move "17. Re1" :| :?:
I'll go give here also the pgn tekst too:

[Event "?"]
[Site "New Orleans"]
[Date "1855.??.??"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Morphy"]
[Black "NN"]
[Result "1-0"]
[SetUp "1"]
[FEN "rnbqkbnr/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/1NBQKBNR w Kkq - 0 1"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. b4 Bxb4 5. c3 Bc5 6. d4 exd4 7. cxd4 Bb6
8. O-O d6 9. Nc3 Na5 10. Bd3 Bg4 11. Be3 Qf6 12. Nd5 Qd8 13. h3 Bxf3 14.
Qxf3 Nf6 15. Bg5 Bxd4 16. e5 Bxe5 17. Re1 O-O 18. Rxe5 dxe5 19. Nxf6+ gxf6
20. Bxf6 1-0

It's not the first time that this same Rook move appears in the pgn-file but here it gave this error, so. If someone of you guys can find out how this come, that'd be very great my friends. Sorry for this maybe simple issue, but i can't find the problem of this 'ilegal-error'!
It do also the same with some other files i exported from Chessmaster, like the Previous one with his 'Re1', it seem it have problems with some rook moves from Chessmaster11 & 9000, even if they're completely legal moves.

C:\MyBook>polyglot make-book -min-game 1 -min-score 0.0 -only-white -pgn CMzwart.pgn -bin CMzwart.bin -max-ply 469
inserting games ...
tellusererror POLYGLOT: book_insert(): illegal move "Rf1" at line 1752, column 13,game 94

Thx in front to all .

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface »

I find out how it come. I not saw that already in the start positoin was no rook at a1. Very strange, first time i have a match from a pgn-file like this. My god, i not saw this before :crasha :oops:

Prima

Post by Prima »

Stoneface wrote:
[Event "?"]
[Site "New Orleans"]
[Date "1855.??.??"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Morphy"]
[Black "NN"]
[Result "1-0"]
[SetUp "1"]
[FEN "rnbqkbnr/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/1NBQKBNR w Kkq - 0 1"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. b4 Bxb4 5. c3 Bc5 6. d4 exd4 7. cxd4 Bb6
8. O-O d6 9. Nc3 Na5 10. Bd3 Bg4 11. Be3 Qf6 12. Nd5 Qd8 13. h3 Bxf3 14.
Qxf3 Nf6 15. Bg5 Bxd4 16. e5 Bxe5 17. Re1 O-O 18. Rxe5 dxe5 19. Nxf6+ gxf6
20. Bxf6 1-0

It's not the first time that this same Rook move appears in the pgn-file but here it gave this error, so. If someone of you guys can find out how this come, that'd be very great my friends. Sorry for this maybe simple issue, but i can't find the problem of this 'ilegal-error'!
It do also the same with some other files i exported from Chessmaster, like the Previous one with his 'Re1', it seem it have problems with some rook moves from Chessmaster11 & 9000, even if they're completely legal moves.

C:\MyBook>polyglot make-book -min-game 1 -min-score 0.0 -only-white -pgn CMzwart.pgn -bin CMzwart.bin -max-ply 469
inserting games ...
tellusererror POLYGLOT: book_insert(): illegal move "Rf1" at line 1752, column 13,game 94

Thx in front to all .
Looks like there was no rook in a1 to begin with. Maybe this is a problem with either the the game itself or with Polyglot not detecting this in initial game phase.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface »

It's ok. I removed the 'FEN' string. Then it worked properly, but do you what can write in place if a pawn promote? Cause for example "e8=K" that give an error & i tried allready different inputs but all fail.

Thx anyway friend!

Waldemar
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Waldemar »

Some games will give polyglot an error when creating a book, this most happens when game was one that you observed, when we observe a game and this game is saved, generally we dont have the 1st move, must be polyglot or yay or winboard issue and we cant create a book, only way is delete this game from your database.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface »

XsupremeX wrote:Some games will give polyglot an error when creating a book, this most happens when game was one that you observed, when we observe a game and this game is saved, generally we dont have the 1st move, must be polyglot or yay or winboard issue and we cant create a book, only way is delete this game from your database.

That's good. I'm struggle a little to make the promotion move work. :smile20

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface »

Here 3 links of the books i created named:
Stoneface-PolarBear_and_BlackBear.bin(71.42kb), StonefaceRepertoire.bin(2.22mb), StonefaceBigRepertoire.bin(66.68mb)

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ccd8baa ... ckBear.bin

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ccd8f90 ... rtoire.bin

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ccd8a99 ... rtoire.bin

Click download now at the bottom, then type the 2 words in the box to confirm & then click download now again under that box, it will start after couple seconds
So, I hope you guys enjoy&like them, can give comment if you want!

Kind regard, Stoneface :wink:

Waldemar
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Waldemar »

Thx for your 1st bin books !

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface »

XsupremeX wrote:Thx for your 1st bin books !

You're welcome my friend,
Was it easy to download them on that site? I like that one cause i've a lot possibilities there & can upload 24GB/day, till 500GB for free. Also easy for your file-management & stuff.
If the books are good, you can tell me.. :roll:

Thx again :oops:

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface »

Here 2 other links from books i've created myself called: Karpov.bin(1.13mb) and Kasparov.bin(719.39kb)

http://www.filefactory.com/file/cce3657/n/Karpov.bin

http://www.filefactory.com/file/cce3659/n/Kasparov.bin

Enjoy them and let know if they're good if possible pls!
Thx in front everyone :ok