Using stockfish1.7.1JA in [Polyglot]

Polyglot here
Fx7_fx5
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Using stockfish1.7.1JA in [Polyglot]

Post by Fx7_fx5 »

Hello Guys...I'm using stockfish1.7.1JA time control 4/2,, what settings are recommended for a dual core laptop .. 4 gb memory 250 gb harddrive Intel Celeron CPU 900@ 220 GHz

Im using hash 128 and threads 16... also use FireBird1.2 for 1 min blitz games.... at 512 hash and 16 threads.

[Polyglot]

EngineName=Stockfish 1.7.1 JA 64bit
EngineDir=C:\YaY_Ultimate_3\Winboard_X
EngineCommand=stockfish-171-64-ja
Book=true
BookFile=C:\YaY_Ultimate_3\Winboard_X\ph-book2010-stockfish2.bin
Log=false
LogFile=Stockfish171JA64bit.log
Resign=false
ResignMoves=3
UCIVersion=1
ShowPonder=true
CanPonder=false
SyncStop=false
PromoteWorkAround=false
KibitzMove=false
KibitzPV=false
KibitzCommand=tellall
KibitzDelay=5

[Engine]
Use Search Log=false
Search Log Filename=SearchLog.txt
Book File=ph-book2010-stockfish2.bin
Mobility (Middle Game)=100
Mobility (Endgame)=100
Pawn Structure (Middle Game)=100
Pawn Structure (Endgame)=100
Passed Pawns (Middle Game)=100
Passed Pawns (Endgame)=100
Space=100
Aggressiveness=100
Cowardice=100
Check Extension (PV nodes)=2
Check Extension (non-PV nodes)=1
Single Evasion Extension (PV nodes)=2
Single Evasion Extension (non-PV nodes)=2
Mate Threat Extension (PV nodes)=0
Mate Threat Extension (non-PV nodes)=0
Pawn Push to 7th Extension (PV nodes)=1
Pawn Push to 7th Extension (non-PV nodes)=1
Passed Pawn Extension (PV nodes)=1
Passed Pawn Extension (non-PV nodes)=0
Pawn Endgame Extension (PV nodes)=2
Pawn Endgame Extension (non-PV nodes)=2
Randomness=0
Minimum Split Depth=4
Maximum Number of Threads per Split Point=5
Threads=16 was at 1 i changed to 16
Hash=128
Ponder=true
OwnBook=true
MultiPV=1 HOW BOUT THIS?
UCI_Chess960=false
UCI_AnalyseMode=false
Zugzwang detection=false

By Chess_pro rybka forum

matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Re: Using stockfish1.7.1JA in [Polyglot]

Post by matematiko »

Hi Fx7_fx5,

A common problem among polyglot users is that some think that they can use the same polyglot.ini and just change few things here and there, I am not saying this is your case but I wanted to mentioned it.

My recommendations are:

-For the polyglot section, one needs to read the documentation and see what are the options available for that particular version. A good example is SyncStop, this option is not available in older versions. I don't know about Fonzy's fork, but unfortunately with Michel's fork is that the manpage.txt found at http://alpha.uhasselt.be/Research/Algeb ... t-release/ is alaways updated for the latest polyglot version but old versions of manpage.txt are not saved, for this reason I recommend to always use latest polyglot version.

-For the engine section:
Both polyglot and the UCI engines are smart enough to ignore options not implemented by them, the problem is when we are not declaring very important options, example: FireBird has a PawnHash option, the documentation says that PawnHash should be around one quarter of Hash, so if you are using 256MB of Hash, then PawnHash should be 64 MB, but if is not declared, then the engine uses the default which is 32 MB. If documentation is available, one should read it andget familiar with the options.If not documentation is available, what we can do is double click on the engine executable file, when the dos prompt opens, enter the command uci and all options will be displayed.

-----------------------------------------------

Once we know all the options we have for polyglot and the engine sections, we can create a better ini file, and I recomend renamed it to something related to the engine, for example: firebird1_MP_64.ini

Telling you what to put in each option is beyond my intentions in this post. Depends on the computer, depends if you are playing in pogo or yahoo, etc.

There are few things I can say:

For 1/0 games use 128 MB hash, no less than 64 and no more than 256, trail an error will tell you what is the best setting for you.

For 4/2 I will use 256MB or 512 MB. I don't know if this is true or no but sometime ago someone told me that Hash should be set to a value that come from the power of 2 (64,128,256,512,1024) not 96,384, etc.
MultiPV=1 HOW BOUT THIS?
This should be always be 1 when playing. It can be set to 2 or more when in analyzing mode.

I think I am going to try to create a new program similar to Polyglot_GUI, but this new program will prompt for the polyglot exe file one is intending on using...wish me luck. Note: This is accomplish flawlessly by the combination of the latest WinBoard and Polyglot but I haven't have the chance to understand it well, maybe darklord can give us a lesson on this.

cheers,
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)
- You will be baned, sooner or later,
- It gives us (the true chess engine players) a bad reputation.

Fx7_fx5
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Using stockfish1.7.1JA in [Polyglot]

Post by Fx7_fx5 »

matematiko wrote:Hi Fx7_fx5,

A common problem among polyglot users is that some think that they can use the same polyglot.ini and just change few things here and there, I am not saying this is your case but I wanted to mentioned it.

My recommendations are:

-For the polyglot section, one needs to read the documentation and see what are the options available for that particular version. A good example is SyncStop, this option is not available in older versions. I don't know about Fonzy's fork, but unfortunately with Michel's fork is that the manpage.txt found at http://alpha.uhasselt.be/Research/Algeb ... t-release/ is alaways updated for the latest polyglot version but old versions of manpage.txt are not saved, for this reason I recommend to always use latest polyglot version.

-For the engine section:
Both polyglot and the UCI engines are smart enough to ignore options not implemented by them, the problem is when we are not declaring very important options, example: FireBird has a PawnHash option, the documentation says that PawnHash should be around one quarter of Hash, so if you are using 256MB of Hash, then PawnHash should be 64 MB, but if is not declared, then the engine uses the default which is 32 MB. If documentation is available, one should read it andget familiar with the options.If not documentation is available, what we can do is double click on the engine executable file, when the dos prompt opens, enter the command uci and all options will be displayed.

-----------------------------------------------

Once we know all the options we have for polyglot and the engine sections, we can create a better ini file, and I recomend renamed it to something related to the engine, for example: firebird1_MP_64.ini

Telling you what to put in each option is beyond my intentions in this post. Depends on the computer, depends if you are playing in pogo or yahoo, etc.

There are few things I can say:

For 1/0 games use 128 MB hash, no less than 64 and no more than 256, trail an error will tell you what is the best setting for you.

For 4/2 I will use 256MB or 512 MB. I don't know if this is true or no but sometime ago someone told me that Hash should be set to a value that come from the power of 2 (64,128,256,512,1024) not 96,384, etc.
MultiPV=1 HOW BOUT THIS?
This should be always be 1 when playing. It can be set to 2 or more when in analyzing mode.

I think I am going to try to create a new program similar to Polyglot_GUI, but this new program will prompt for the polyglot exe file one is intending on using...wish me luck. Note: This is accomplish flawlessly by the combination of the latest WinBoard and Polyglot but I haven't have the chance to understand it well, maybe darklord can give us a lesson on this.

cheers,
Thank you for the explanation Matematico myself had many doubts about the polyglot, you know how much I use ChessBase in my games because of this difficulty we'll see if I get on well with the poly.

PS: I was away pogo occur because some family problems I am having trouble connecting an update to be made friends already thank you

Good luck in the new project